Were the JWs ever anywhere near a bona fide religion?

by punkofnice 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't think the more mainstream Religions ever considered "Russellites" or Bible Students as they were probably more widely known as a Bona Fide religion. There are plenty of Articles and Pamphlets opposing Russell's views, some from Bible Students themselves.

Rutherford was taken apart by the same sort of thing, I remember reading a pamphlet produced by a Church of England Minister that tore in to Rutherford's nonsense that was published just about the time they adopted the name Jehovah's Witnesses. I reckon most people of the time agreed with much of what he wrote. He started off by taking the piss out of their frequent change of name.

I do think the general Public looked upon them, even in my youth, as just another sect, with maybe some reserve as to the strange views, but we were accorded respect, and often a hearing ear, as we door knocked. I do not remember at any time a great number who challenged the Bona Fides. But, I do remember one old gentleman who told me to study Russell's activities, he mentioned the " Miracle Wheat", and the fact that in his view Russell wanted to start a new religion, not to actually get back to Primitive Christianity.

So not all of the Public, even then, in the 1950's, looked upon them as genuine.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Sure he wanted to start a new religion like Joseph Smith. He was considered a prophet as well by his followers despite the much more careful attempts to conceal it. He was not the humble Bible student that merely saw a message he wanted to share with the world. The lack of humility and imaginations of own grandeur are striking

• Spiral
    Spiral

Religion: A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Or: The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or Gods.

So, by these definitions found online, the JWs are a religion. They believe in a superhuman (notice, not necessarily righteous) controlling power, and they certainly are into maintaining a "moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Speaking for myself, I know that growing up I didn't think "our" religion was exciting. It was missing so much that other religions had: contemplative practices, beautiful churches or synagogues where impressive observances could be seen, wonderful holidays and worship days, schools and summer camps. Culture, art, and rich history could be seen, in my case, from afar.

Being a JW was like being in a bargain-basement religion, totally on the cheap. I was sad about this.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PHIZZY:

The general public back in the ‘50s was correct to view the Witnesses as just another sect. But the Witnesses got lucky with growth in the later half of the twentieth century with the 1975 date and afterwards probably hoping the year 2000 was finally going to usher in the ‘New System’.

..now it’s unraveling with failed prophecies; disillusionment; scandals; downsizing; time catching up with unprepared people; faithful elderly passing away..and so on.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 because a sect/cult is exactly what they are.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Oh there is no question to the viability of them being a bonafide religion but has to realized in all honesty that this religion it was created by crooked, coercive and devious men running a religoius publishing house.

JWS are their own designated public sales representatives, right down to a suit and smile..

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

JWs are right about the divine name and no war.

In the first edition of the "Aid book" they admitted that the name Jehovah was not the correct pronunciation of the Divine name ,however that was the most popular name in christendom.

So that is why they adopted it.

And they certainly agree with the "war of the great day of God the Almighty .Jw`s are not pacifists and I know you never implied they were SBF ,however I`m just clarifying the situation.

Were the JWs ever anywhere near a bona fide religion?

JW`s early Watchtower magazine under Russell may well have been with the heading " Zions Watchtower and Herald of Christs Presence" where they gave due dilligence to the role Jesus had in Gods purpose ,however after Russells death the emphasis went on to Jehovah.

And nowhere in the C.G.Scriptures , the New testament are followers of Jesus Christ instructed to be witnesses of Jehovah ,yet there are many scriptures whereby they are instructed to be witnesses of Jesus.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    truth_b_known - "I would say Jehovah's Witnesses are in a religion that was created around a publishing company for the purpose of obtaining religious tax exemption."

Maybe under Russel's tenure, definitely under Rutherford's.

I've long wondered just how dependent the WTS has become on it's tax-exemption.

And more recently, just how often the changes they've made over the years were done to keep it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit