Were the JWs ever anywhere near a bona fide religion?

by punkofnice 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The religion/corporation has changed constantly since the start. They appear more whacko than ever.

But, were the JWs ever anywhere near a bona fide religion at any time?

Disclaimer: I think all religions are a scam. It's your observations I'm interested in.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

When is a religion ever bona fide from the perspective that all religion is a scam. Russells religion was benevolent but still had elements to be considered wacko. When Rutherford took over and the movement got the jw name things got a lot worse. Systematic shunning and blood policy came after Rutherford though

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I think it depends on when you think the JWs started.

If you believe JWs started from Rutherford, then I'd say no, JWs were never a bona fide religion.

If you believe that Russell and his associates were JWs, then I'd argue that Russell and the Bible Students were a normal religion.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

According to Webster dictionary a religion is service and worship of God or the supernatural . A personal set or institutionalized system of reglious beliefs, attitudes and practices. With that said I feel it is a bona fide religion even though it is outside the norms of many reglious institutions and a dangerous cult. Still Totally ADD

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have no idea. It’s possible.

JWs are pretty near early Bible Students in core teachings: Bible, God, Jesus, soul, resurrection, paradise earth. All these teachings are pretty stable.

JWs are right about the divine name and no war.

The big problems are authority and chronology. Did they get 1914 and the “faithful slave” right? It don’t think so. And these are pretty big things to get wrong. So I don’t know.

Plus I think the Bible teaches universalism, and Russell was nearer to this than current JW teaching.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75
    What mostly disturbed me about Russell was the datesetting with its hellbend certaincy, the unruly spirit that certainly did not give me peace and the disdain for biblical context. What especially surprises me to this day is how he got away with preaching the millennium as a place of learning and second chances without a shred of Bible evidence. It is clear he saw himself in competition with the universalists whom he condemned a few times as well.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There is no biblical evidence for a millennial reign of instruction, correction, and perfection, unless we admit God’s justice and goodness as evidence, for, those facets being admitted, the conclusion becomes inescapable.

1 Tim 2:3, 4 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
  • JoenB75
    JoenB75

No, Russell's vision is not in the Bible. It is not there, it russell-light created by the false prophet who was wrong about just about anything biblically speaking. Salvation has nothing to do with being taught and examined. That is ridiculous. He attacked universalists whom knew the biblically revealed answers that are far better.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Are JWj's any less "bona fide" than the Catholics, Lutherans, Mormons, Pentacostals?

They all CLAIM to speak for God or interpret for God. They all "sell" speculation because what they teach can neither be proven or unproven. Did Grandma really "go to heaven"? I know plenty of people who have had visions or "evidence" of Grandma helping them from heaven. (Yeah, it's BS, but they WANT to believe it.)

(All) religion is a snare and a racket!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I would say Jehovah's Witnesses are in a religion that was created around a publishing company for the purpose of obtaining religious tax exemption. Watchtower was, is, and shall be the controlling entity of the religion. As the US Federal government started to crackdown on religion-for-profit, Watchtower changed to ensure it maintained its tax exemption.

We saw this when HQ stopped using Watchtower letterhead and invented the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses." In addition, it was common place, even by some JWs today, to invoke the name of "The Society"(short for Watchtower Bible and Tract Society) as an authority on a matter (e.g. "The Society says <insert belief>).

Looking back, JWs were nothing but door-to-door salesmen selling Watchtower publications. That is why members are referred to as "publishers." That's what a publisher does - sells books, magazines, and other printed materials. JWs purchased the books from Watchtower, then sell the books to non-JWs in their ministry, and funds from both sales are then "donated" to Watchtower. Labor to manufacture said publications is donated. It was quite the scam until the America television evangelists started getting fed time for tax evasion.

The new Watchtower business model is to have JWs purchase loans to build Kingdom Halls, which are later sold by the same JWs who bought the loan, and then the JWs donate the money back to Watchtower. Its the same scam, but with real estate rather than books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit