Reveal Article, Nov. 16, 2017: Jehovah’s Witnesses’ tab for child sex abuse secrecy: $2M and counting

by AndersonsInfo 13 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Incognito
    Incognito
    but apparently they've already paid $2,000,000.

Not certain they have paid anything yet as they were appealing, but WT's appeal now appears to have failed. The penalty since the order was issued is now accumulated to approx $2M.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    As reported by the Reader, on October 11 the appellate court judges expressed their frustration with Watchtower attorneys for trying to play both sides.
    That frustration showed in the appellate court's formal ruling as well.
    "...[W]e are troubled that Watchtower has taken two inconsistent positions before us," reads the November 9 ruling.
    "Here, after the superior court imposed a daily monetary sanction for noncompliance, Watchtower now argues such a sanction is not authorized. We cannot rectify these diametrically opposed positions…. Watchtower has obstinately refused to comply with the order, consistently attempting to reargue the very discovery issues the court already decided."
    Padron's attorney, Irwin Zalkin, says it is his firm's position that sanctions should have begun in June when judge Richard Strauss first imposed them.
    As for his opinion on the court's ruling, "We are now one step closer to exposing the depth and breadth of the scourge of child sexual abuse within the Jehovah's Witness Organization that has been covered up for decades. It's time for them to come clean and seriously address the problem and make good on their public relations refrain that they 'abhor child abuse.'"

https://m.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/nov/10/ticker-jehovahs-witnesses-withheld-info-4000-day/

I don't think they have actually paid the $4000 a day as they are still making an ass of themselves by attempting to legally stall the court.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Not certain they have paid anything yet as they were appealing, but WT's appeal now appears to have failed. The penalty since the order was issued is now accumulated to approx $2M.

I see, thanks Incognito.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

All I want to know is when the New York Times will pick up the JW's news...If this type of news comes out of NYC, folks will believe it...Not saying any of these papers are not worthy, but the world believes and reads The NYT's, even the Daily News...

Again, what's protecting the org...or who ?

& Just an FYI: If you think the friends don't know...they do...when folks don't talk about stuff means they know...if it's mentioned here & there then many may not know...they know...just too embarrassed to say they do...many of them have talked about other religions and now it's them...Many of them just hopes this blows over...

I've spoken to a couple of witnesses and they know personally of some elder touching a child and nothing was done...many even had it happened to their child ....but the org. is the only place that THEY belong...scared to go out in the real world...scared to deal with real problems...most witnesses not all are misfits...and the org. is noticing that as well. That's why they don't want us to keep dragging a bible study for a long time...just for hours...the org. is bringing in mentally challenged folks...& they can't be helped, they need professional help...Many will keep a bible student no matter what, they could be dribbling, but they making time...

All, I can say is when will major media pickup this story...

Tor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit