India ... what's the latest?

by no-zombie 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

We haven't heard much recently about India. Whats the current situation over there?

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Due to financial strain, Printing has been stopped and all literature is brought in from other countries. Supply and Distribution of Public Edition Watchtowers and Awakes have been stopped in India. But yes, they are translated and updated on the website as they are printed and distributed in other countries.Only tracts and brochures are placed in the field.

NWT - Last year New World Translation was simultaneously released in 6 Indian languages. (3 Complete NWT and 3 Greek Scriptures). So in a span of 6 years, NWT has been released in all major Indian languages. Focus has been in getting all NWT’s out in all Indian languages.

Even though the printing has stopped, translation has been going on in full swing, partly because NWT translators have become free for other assignments. JW Broadcasting is now available in major Indian languages and publications are regularly translated in Indian Sign Language and Regional Conventions are being held in ISL as well.

Since foreign missionaries are not allowed in the country, every year, there are 3 month or 5 month campaigns to reach unassigned territories and many groups have come up in those parts. Some of these campaigns and the recently released NWT’s are responsible for the continuous growth (consistent 5%) despite financial strain.

Witnesses are present now in all metropolitan cities of the country and over 80% of the congregations have their own Kingdom Halls. RTO’s are present in affluent cities of the country and hence many local witnesses are signing up as volunteers.

Legal situation remains the same- no foreign contributions. So everything done is supported by local publishers.

• steve2
    steve2

Drearyweather's detailed answer requires context:

India's population is conservatively estimated to be 1,400,000,000.

There are 43,910 active JWs on average (see Yearbook 2017).

There is 1 Witness for every 29,663 Indians.

JWs have been active in India for over 100 years.

JWs are an extremely small religious group.

At the current ratio of Witnesses to numbers in the population, it is nigh impossible to "cover" the territory.

• sir82
    sir82

Didn't I read somewhere on this forum, many years ago, that something like 90% or more of the JWs are concentrated in just a handful of major cities where there is already a significant Christian presence, i.e., cities with a Portuguese colonial background?

In other words, out of those 1.4 billion people, maybe 1.38 billion or so have never even so much heard the name "Jehovah's Witnesses", much less ever talked to one.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

India ... what's the latest?

It`s still there..

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

In 06 I spoke with Service Dept in India. They acknowledged that local congregations often do things differently than Brooklyn. Bribes and payoffs to avoid DF and get position recommendations often occurred. Even the less than 50k Indian JW don't even beat to the same drumbeat as Mother Borg. Very much a blip on the religious scene. Likely hasn't changed in a decade

Snakes

• steve2
    steve2

There was some intrigue in the Indian Bethel some years ago involving dishonesty and some shady financial dealings. A couple of posters gave a detailed overview of what happened and how Brooklyn responded. I am not surprised to hear that local JWs have their own way of doing things - it is a country rich in religious traditions and culture, largely impervious to the precious fundamentalist "rights" and "wrongs" of the great Triad of "interfering" religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam).

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

Isn't funny how we've been told for years how the Brotherhood is the same all around the world; a wonderful example of unity and another evidence of God's blessing on the Society. But in reality I believe that The Truth doesn't change the nature of people at all, it has just collected a group of people with a similar mind set. So while I can't prove for myself that some in India pay-off the elders, I thinks it sounds right when I know that many local customs get covered over, so as not to upset or spoil the Witnesses' reputation. For example in a Nordic country, nude swimming and mixed sex naked saunas are tolerated. But of course, looking at pictures of naked people will get you disfellowshiped.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Steve2, for your comment:

At the current ratio of Witnesses to numbers in the population, it is nigh impossible to "cover" the territory.

Yes, it is impossible to cover the territory, hence as I mentioned, there are campaigns every year to cover these territories.

Due to strong religious fundamentalism, over 80% of the Indian Territory is closely guarded by the Branch office and even local publishers are not allowed to preach there without the branch’s approval. Hence, only the Branch decides when these territories need to be covered.

Still, considering the strong political, religious and socio-cultural scenario in the country, and now without foreign contributions and missionaries, in about 100 years, local publishers have managed to establish themselves in all the major cities in India; and in some areas at par with other Christian denominations who have been present in India for more than 400-500 years, some more than 1000 years.

Sir82

In other words, out of those 1.4 billion people, maybe 1.38 billion or so have never even so much heard the name "Jehovah's Witnesses"

I must disagree to this. The Bijoe Emmanuel Supreme court case of 1986 has brought Jehovah’s Witnesses to the forefront of the Indian Legal system. Almost every prestigious educational institution in the country knows about this case and thus they do not interfere in cases related to students not singing the National Anthem. All Legal schools of the country discuss this case in their syllabus and have mock court sessions discussing it. The recent National Anthem ruling has again brought JW’s to the limelight.

So have Indian people heard about Jehovah’s Witnesses? Yes. At least they know that JW’s are those who do not sing the National Anthem.

Those who have not heard about JW’s are maybe the less educated masses who must not have even heard about Donald Trump.

Snakesinthetower,

In 06 I spoke with Service Dept in India. They acknowledged that local congregations often do things differently than Brooklyn. Bribes and payoffs to avoid DF and get position recommendations often occurred.

I feel India is not unique to this. This happens in all other countries as well.

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks for the additional information Drearyweather. I can only state that JWs' numbers are exceptionally tiny even compared to other Christian groups.

For example: I understand - but have no citation - that Seventh-Day Adventists in India number just under 1,000,000.

Like the JWs, they too have been on the receiving end of tough justice from locals and the law - especially regarding their observance of the Saturday sabbath.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit