After leaving what did you Major in?

by Luther bertrand 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lisbet
    Lisbet

Hi, I'm new to this site and just starting my fade. One of my first priorities is to educate myself, right now informally but I do want to finish my degree (I started when it started to be socially acceptable but abandoned my education when "the light got brighter"). I'm thinking of majoring in either anthropology or psychology and minor in creative writing.

If I do psychology I'm toying with the idea of working with ex-cult members. I want to help others but at the same time I've had a cult living rent free in my head for the first half of my life. Right now I want to evict them not extend the lease.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I normally ignore it when someone dislikes my post, they're entitled to their opinion. I'm just baffled when I put myself out and answered the question of the thread poster about how we got on as non-traditional adult learners because he said he wants to help other ex-JWs who come here. So I wonder, the person who objected to what I said, do you dislike adult learning, people with degrees, distance learning, the Open University or education in general?
  • Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    Well, It sounds like many of you have really interesting stories. If any of you would be interested in starting an online group on how to make education easier than we had it. I would welcome an private messages. My dream is to create a scholarship funded in large part by exjws for exjws. and create online resources so that those who are fading can get some help.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

Phd.in Masturbation.

(ok, ok, most here know that I am still in ... but I still went through the "strokes".

Rub a Dub

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

My dream is to create a scholarship funded in large part by exjws for exjws. and create online resources so that those who are fading can get some help.

Love this idea!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I'll graduate this year with a B.Arts. with a major in Ancient History, and maybe a minor in Japanese studies. My capstone essay earned a distinction, but I lost marks for being a day late in my submission. Bugger!

That's the formal description for my studies, but I usually describe my studies as a 'blackmarket' degree, in that I've followed no formal program, but made as many intellectual journeys as I could across Asia, exploring side roads as I went. In that journey, I accumulated more credit points than I need to graduate, simply because there was always some new discovery to be investigated. I was fortunate in being to use the resources of two universities in my explorations.

I faced a difficult decision at the beginning of this journey, I could see that the big story of the nineteenth century was the disintegration of east Asian order, and in the twentieth C. the re-organisation of China, and in the twentyfirst C. the ascendancy of Asia, but I was also very curious about the origins of Christianity and the role of 'shared' knowledge in the development of both Judaism and Christianity. I settled for Asia, but found to my surprise that my intellectual journey would also enlighten me as to the pagan origins of both Judaism and Christianity.

My only regret, is that I wasted 40 years of my life thinking that the YHWH/Jesus combo God was going to save the world. How could I have succumbedr to believing something so weird? (grin)

Right now, I'm taking two topics essentially outside my field of study, but the university thinks I (OK, all students) need something they call a 'people' unit and a 'planet' unit. Searching through the lists of topics, I found a study unit under each label that helps me. So this semester, "Critical thinking" and next semester, "Why do people believe weird things" - so here's hoping I do not become too introspective.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Elementary Education

In the US, community colleges will accept everyone with the caveat that you take placement tests and may have to take remedial classes first for no credit.

Once you have an associates degree from a community college, it is fairly easy to transfer to a larger university.

Fill out the federal student aid form, the FAFSA, and they will determine whether you are eligible for grants, which do not need to be paid back, or loans. It's based on your family income.

I was eligible for loans to cover tuition and a little bit extra. However, I did not have to pay room and board as a commuter student. Living on campus might have presented a financial gap.

They seemed to give out these loans freely. My husband made a decent income at the time, so it seems likely that most people could get their tuition covered with loans.

And, I now owe the federal government a giant pile of cash!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Luther:

My dream is to create a scholarship funded in large part by exjws for exjws. and create online resources so that those who are fading can get some help.

A great idea. I am a tenure track professor and fully believe in the power of a non traditional education. Being raised a JW pretty much excluded me from a traditional track. As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat. In my journey of education, I am sure I invented a few never thought of ways to get through the system.

If you are compiling a list of resources, put me on the list.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

BS in Business Administration with minor in Accounting and Information Systems

BS in Health Informatics

Working on BSN (I have 1 1/2 year of nursing school left) career change for me

• kaik
    kaik

If I would have to do over again, I would go for undergrad in earth science with specialization on oil exploration or remote sensing, and go for postgrad in project management or MBA in that field.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit