Being a jobo. It's not the same as it was.

by punkofnice 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Finally Left - Well done. I love what you told the drone elders

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Although I have no problem with changes, and I think some of them are positive. The issue I do have is that many of these changes they were slamming not to many years ago. The thought of bringing a cell phone into the kh, or a meeting that resembled a pentecostal revival meeting would of been a sign of the anti christ not to long ago. To have my PIMI relative look me in the face and say Wt was never against the internet. When I tried to reason with him and show him quotes, I then got labeled as not keeping up with the chariot. Goes to show that some are also oblivious to what is going on.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Certainly those grumbles are frequently said by my family who have decades of experience within. Of course they dare not say so in the cong....especially to the elders!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP, Punk.

Yeah, I think I agree with you.

Some of John Cedars' youtube films of WT monthly broadcasts have been disturbing (the GB member's speeches, not Cedars' analysis).

Lots of things have changed for JWs and I hope it causes many to wake up.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PUNKOFNICE:

Since the only JW I ever see never tells me anything about the religion, I learn it all here. From time to time, I will ask this person a question and their answer confirms that what I read on the forum is accurate and certainly not lies like some Witnesses would like to believe.

In recent years, I heard they were shredding each other regularly with gossip that made people change congregations! Talk about hateful.

The JW friend I have mentioned recently that she and somebody else were complaining that everybody (including elders) seem to target single women to do favors who have no family in the religion.

I didn't tolerate this decades ago when I was in and would certainly have no patience for this now. I also couldn't sit there and listen to appeals for money from hypocrites who criticized me for working!

Everything I have learned makes me glad I walked away from this almost seventeen years ago.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I don't post much these days and I don't hear much about the dubs either. But, my wife's relatives were in town last weekend and I overheard a few conversations they had. They really don't say anything too bad in front of me so if it's negative I probably overheard it from another room.

The relatives are in their 80s.

They love the cart witnessing because it's easy. Don't like that no one stops to talk and they can't discuss bible verses with householders. They really don't like that the young pioneers are doing cart work when they feel they need the cart work because they can't get around as well as they used to. In their mind young ones should be doing door to door and older ones should be doing cart work.

Frustrated by the technology that the society has them using. They like the idea of the technology and how modern and fresh it all feels (their words) but don't really understand how to use it and keep running out of memory and losing files. They said that half their congregation has to rely on one younger brother to keep helping them with their ipads and phones.

They love the videos that are shown at the conventions but really miss the live action dramas with the costumes and overacting.

The comment that stood out to me was when one of them said that the society just doesn't feel the same, oh it's great and everything is perfect but it's so different now.

Not related but several congregations in their area were consolidated recently and they are happy to have their KH filled with some more people, apparently the attendance was really low before the merge.

I also heard that there was some congregation shuffling and merging in my area too.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"The comment that stood out to me was when one of them said that the society just doesn't feel the same, oh it's great and everything is perfect but it's so different now."

The closeness of the Org is gone. Days of a close knit Book study group with goody night (took the Book study away). We used to have picnics but large groups were frowned upon. My spouse and I had several parties at our home but it seemed someone always had something to say. I got so sick of someone invited starting something and I just finally told my spouse..."no more gatherings at our home."

Back in the 80's it seemed like we were all in this thing together. Fast forward 40 some odd years later, it is an organization that is jam pack full of petty rules and regulations. Now it is full of titles and special this and special that. Pettiness, titles and legalism has taken over! It's a shame! It has taken on a coldness. Mediocrity need not apply!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Although I have already mentioned this on similar threads in the recent past, I will repeat the following:

Before anyone here, on the forum, or those active in the "Truth," had an inkling of the widespread changes about to occur, Randy Watters had printed a quotation, in THE FREE MINDS JOURNAL, from a certain "Br. Morris" (I believe that was the surname). That declaration was culled from a District Convention talk, wherein the speaker said that certain changes were forthcoming and many JWs would not be happy with those changes.

Oh, really?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Pheeeebs - but despite that they will still continue to give anyway.

Sad, isn't it. They've invested all those years into the jobos it must be hard to admit it's all a con.

Joe134cd -There is sometimes a feeling of 'my religion, right or wrong'. Again, too much emotionally invested in the weird cult to emancipate oneself.

BB - As Angus Steart said at the ARC, 'It's a captive religion'.

LUHE - thank you. I wonder how many jobos are intimidated by the 7 pervert protecting Warwick rock stars.

Longy - Everything I have learned makes me glad I walked away from this almost seventeen years ago.

That's worthy of celebration.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    listener - The relatives are in their 80s. They love the cart witnessing because it's easy.

At 80, that's understandable.

The comment that stood out to me was when one of them said that the society just doesn't feel the same, oh it's great and everything is perfect but it's so different now.

This seems to be a prevailing view. A real cognitive dissonance thing.

Toesy - Back in the 80's it seemed like we were all in this thing together. Fast forward 40 some odd years later, it is an organization that is jam pack full of petty rules and regulations. ..........It's a shame! It has taken on a coldness.

Spot on, Toesy.

Coco - certain changes were forthcoming and many JWs would not be happy with those changes.

If history has told us anything.........................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit