Remember 1992?

by Tobyjones262 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

Anyone remember 1992? I can remember I was in the cult. Times were changing at a rapid pace. The UN seemed to get power, the wall in Berlin came down, the Germany's united, The communist block crumbled and the USSR denigrated. Not all in that year but with in a couple of years. I remember the talks, this is it brothers, we are seeing the end times. Its here lift up your heard because your deliverance is near. Well that was 26 years ago. And the beat goes on. That was a 1914 moment. When world things seemed to be matching up with the dogma. Then nothing. Now its close very close.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Yep thought for sure they were going to proclaim peace and security!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

The following year Freddie died and two years after that the 1914/generation went into cardiac arrest, it's been on life support ever since.

I've always maintained that 1995 was the year the rot truly set in..

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy
    Back when I first started studying with a relative in 1985 the end was imminent because of the UN declaring 1986 as the "year of peace" and they updated the peace and security book and we went through that at the book study and Watchtower magazine had covers that featured the doomsday clock with armageddon about 3 minutes away and study articles about preparing now to withstand persecution, etc.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree 1995 was the turning point for JWs. It was the autumn of that year when the Watchtower announced they were giving up of the generation prediction, and the Awake! dropped its generation purpose statement too. They have never recovered from the loss of confidence following that failure, or come up with a reasonable excuse, or a viable alternative for insisting the end must be near.

• Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

I can remember working with an elder in 1989 when we would listen to the radio on what was going on in Tiananmen square. He would yell at the radio say peace and security. LOL. He really was a douche.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

1995 was the beginning of Gorby's jw end.

G.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Then the year before that, in 1991, there was the first Gulf War. A number of JWs got very excited about this event, also. A certain prize act who gave the public talk at our hall just after the Coalition Forces went on the attack (i.e. Norman Swartzkopf's "Operation Desert Sword") is on record as telling us:

"Brothers, for years The Society has been warning that Armegeddon is 'just around the corner'. We are now past that, and staring down the home straight."

Later that year saw the disintegration of the Soviet Union, plus all the upheaval that followed in its wake. From the platform, we were urged to "keep close watch on world events", for all the indicators were "the strongest they have been since 1975", and that all this was coming directly from " The Society" (The term Governing Body having not yet come into common currency). This was all stated in a talk at that year's District Convention.

As if Berlin Walls, Tianamen Squares, Gulf Wars, Soviet Unions or whatever have anything to do with anything.

(Bloody long "Home Straight" he was talking about, too!)

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

When the GB were no TV hosts.

G.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Was this the year they showed on the Awake, Indians, Catholics etc having a big pray in? They always have an excuse for what is really going on. Even tho there wasn't true "peace and security" going on in the world, they said it was because it was in the minds of the governments that they had achieved it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit