Was your faith in Armagedddon connected to current events?

by Wasanelder Once 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

How do you counter that, or can you?

I think a good swift kick to the part of their anatomy that hits a chair when they sit down might be a good place to start.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Armageddon is coming for you.

No one gets out alive.

And when you die and stand before the Lord for judgement, believe me, it will be the end of the world that you currently live in.

Worrying about everyone on the planet dying and not worrying about yourself dying is a most interesting mental syndrome.

ttwsyf

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jehovah`s Witnesses are always looking for the negative happenings in society to validate their beleif in the end of this system of things .

They have always done this since the early 1900`s when they wer known as the International Bible Students Association. IBSA

About 140 years of failed prophecy`s ,predictions and expectations of what they predicted would come about and never did.

And funny enough New Light always follows their failed predictions .expectations.

• zooooooo
    zooooooo

Was your faith in Armageddon connected to current events?

Did you blow in the wind of current events when it came to Armageddon?

My faith was in Jehovah and his promises. I had come to know Jehovah and his promises through being raised as a JW and becoming a baptized member of the congregation and the study that required. Probably, the primary belief regarding when Armageddon would occur was tied to the teaching regarding the generation that saw the events of 1914 and would still be alive when the great tribulation started. I understood this as part of the Good News. I also understood the Good News had to be true and salvation was based on faith in God.

There was a connection to world events in general. When things happened like you mentioned, the international year of peace and security and for me, the first Gulf war, put in the context of the generation that would still be alive at the time of Armageddon and their age, it certainly made me feel we must be very close and maybe this was the start of something. I wouldn't describe myself as blowing in the wind of current events, faith I understood was more sure than that suggests.

One of the JW that I have contact with has mentioned that they think the situation with the pandemic and other events may lead right into the Great Tribulation, but, no great belief that it will. Others don't mention anything about world events and Armageddon. Having said that I only have a very limited amount of contact with JW.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

The WTS used current events as to suggest that Armageddon was close at hand.

Being a person/child who was brought up in this religion, fear about Armageddon was always placed into my conscious awareness.

Its not any more because I now know its just fictional ancient mythology.

The ancients tried to create power and relevance to their select gods, to make them the almighty god(s), much of the book of Revelation is expressive mythology (fiction).

The propagation of Armageddon was a marketing tool the WTS used to attract attention to its published literature, it somewhat successfully worked.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

During the 1980s, President Ronald Reagan's massive increase in spending in weapons systems combined with his cold war against the U.S.S.R., and his promotion of a spaced anti-missile defense system (which people called a 'Star Wars' defense system), caused me to fear (at times) that the world might come extremely close to a nuclear war. The "International Year of Peace and Security" had me somewhat wondering if a peace deal would come that would fulfill the biblical prophecy of a cry of "peace and security".

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

It's a great forgetfulness. Years and years of anticipation that go nowhere. At what point do you fold your hand and say, "I'm out, enough." I guess most JWs have too much in the game already to do that.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

I guess most JWs have too much in the game already to do that.

Yes a little doubt here and there is not enough to drive people out of the Org.

For most people there is too much involving in people's own personal lives to just walk away.

For example some have broken up their relationships with their own personal family members over the Org..

Some are in work related relationships with other JWS too.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

It's inevitable when JWs make you give up so much to join them. What else do you have after you cut everyone else off? :/

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My faith was formed growing up in the Organisation and in those days there was no internet and much fewer sources of news .

I fully accepted that the world was bad, worse than it has ever been. In the sixties we were closer to WW2, the Cold War was in force. The threat of nuclear annihilation seemed real. If you couple that with scary crime statistics, famines being reported and the Watchtowers and Awakes trumpeting every problem the world had.....and yes I believed we “could not last much longer “

The last 20 years have taught me a lot . I have gained more perspective and learned that the past was pretty difficult to live in with a lot of cruelty and hardship.

Now, Armageddon is just something that others believe in

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit