My Thoughts on the Subject of Faith

by Saethydd 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    To begin with, faith isn't just about belief, it combines the concepts of belief and trust. For the purposes of this discussion, I will be focusing primarily on the second attribute.

It is not possible to trust somebody until you first show that they exist.

Since there no evidence that the god of christianity exists believers use faith to fill the gap. Faith is pretending to know things that we have no evidence for.

We can show beyond all reasonable doubt that the god of Jesus is impossible.

"Well, either way, you have to have faith either in a creator or in the process of evolution because you can't observe that either."

Yes people who know absolutely nothing about the evidence for evolution do like to say things like that. Don't fall for it. Evolution is a fact....

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

saethyyed, excellent points in your OP. Trust is important for living in world where sensing and experiencing is more important than the solitary disenchanted mute world of belief. Trust enables participation and relationships therefore adventures and creativity rather than flight into oneself.

• Heaven
    Heaven

"Well, either way, you have to have faith either in a creator or in the process of evolution because you can't observe that either."

This is a statement from someone who is uneducated in the process of evolution. It is observable.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The fact of the matter is, that the processes that scientists use to prove their ideas are not at all impacted by whether or not the Bible is true

Yes this is in fact true. However the reverse is not true. The accuracy of the assertions in the Bible are impacted by the processes that are observed in science and nature. This is why organizations like the bOrg and others have to resort to intellectual dishonesty, and fudge scientific facts in order to be more palatable to them, or to rely on a few pseudo-scientists to scrap some support for their fairy tales.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

This is a statement from someone who is uneducated in the process of evolution. It is observable.

Sadly, that comment was made by my father, a man that I know to be very intelligent. He reads literature on math and physics for fun and he plays chess whenever he can find a willing opponent, but obviously even all of that is not enough to counter the cognitive dissonance caused by the Organization. He is also a skilled debater and has become well-versed in the seemingly reasonable arguments given by the Society, yet he has no desire to push beyond the walls they put up and truly give the theory of evolution a fair hearing. I think that if he had not been a Witness, he would have made a brilliant engineer or scientist.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I feel for you Saethydd. My Dad was really good at math too. He got sucked into the Borg after he retired. Now the dementia has taken over and he can't even feed himself nor bathe or toilet himself.

• tepidpoultry
  • tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Or I suppose we could set up large systems of worship to adore it

• tepidpoultry
  • tepidpoultry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit