Bringing children into this System of Things.

by Nihilistic Journey 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

Ponder no more where the mentality comes from about remaining childless. Look no further than the self-titled "Judge" Rutherford, the theocratic autocrat man who remains a stain and an embarrassment to every reasonable-minded JW:

One of his last books - before he became one of the millions then living who died in 1941 - was titled, "Children".

While that book was obviously addressed to children, its central message was the importance of giving one's all to preaching the kingdom message "in the months remaining" in this old system of things.

It hammered the need for young people to defer marriage, and if already married, to remain childless.

That book was quietly side-lined within 5 years of its initial publication.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, I remember all this talk about not having children (the 1980s ?) and "responsible childbearing, etc."

At the time, Witnesses were led to believe the end was imminent and it would be better if they postponed childbearing until the "new system"...Those who heard this are senior citizens now!

Gee, I wonder if there was a more hidden agenda...like childless people are more inclined to leave money to the religion(?).. It would not surprise me!

Meanwhile, I feel sorry for those who would have liked to have children, but instead listened to this crock of sh#t and now it's too late!

• millie210
    millie210

They frowned on childbearing until people ignored them.

Then they ignored the children - just a token book here or there.

The children started leaving the Org

This caused the $$ giving members much angst

The Org bestirred itself to make Caleb and Sophia videos in an attempt to get ahead of the damage.

I swear, every thread I read here I am seeing more and more how everything they do is a reaction rather than an action.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

During the late 1970s I saw that a young sister my age got engaged to be married. I thought that was bad because of the Bible verse that said "woe to any woman who has a suckling child". That was the mentality back then.

There is also Joseph's Rutherford's book Children, written in the 1940s, where the characters John and Eunice forego marriage and having children because Armageddon was close.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I did not have children in large part due to my JW upbringing.

About Rutherford, he was an ass. And he even said so himself.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Toes Up:

I find it sad that so many couples, that would have made wonderful parents, skipped that part of their lives because a bunch of out of touch with reality old men said so. It truly is sad!

Well said!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes Steve2. That book "children" was such an eye opener!

And it was supposed to be "gods message" via the Faithful Slave!

ha!

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Hey! God allowed Adam and everybody else after him to bring children into this cruel world and many born in the 80s and 90s are JW and more JW born in 2000s. Should it not be up to God to command whether or not to multiply. (I do not mean add, divide, subtract..)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit