What were you never going to do in "This system" But did it?

by karter 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Cangie
    Cangie
    Retire. According to the May 1969 Awake, I wasn't supposed to graduate in "this system." But I did---one month later. I also got married, had 2 children, owned 2 houses and 2 co-op apartments, divorced, survived through tough times, became a grandma twice,, learned TTATT and got out!
  • naja
    naja
    My parents were told I would not even enter school in the 1950ies. Now I have grand children, the oldest 10 years of age.
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Too fresh out but some things on my list of new possibilities:

• Parachute jump
    • Get a tattoo
    • Travel the world / emigrate
    • Have a time consuming hobby
    • Do time consuming home maintenance and like it
    • Enjoy earning money
    • Donate to real charities
    • Volunteer for real charities
    • Like all people without prejudices
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I came in as a young adult, so it was post 1975 but still within that generation understanding that babies from 1914 would still be alive when the end came in the 20th century.

So I was never going to get a career, just keep doing jobs that get me by until Armageddon. I started seeking a career in 1995 when they decided that the "generation" wasn't what they said it was. I became a firefighter in 2000.

I was never going to travel on many vacations, but I do that now. So does my JW wife.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I was never going to leave. I was going to stick it out no matter what, despite my doubts, cuz I never wanted to disappoint my parents. But finally I decided I had to get out and live according to my own beliefs, and let my kids follow their own paths instead of sticking around this cult until their lives were limited by it. It was time to finally grow up.

I'm SO glad I did it, even tho the process was hard. I never could have imagined myself here 10 years ago.

• Lieu
    Lieu

Go to college

Retire from a profession / Get retirement benefits & pay

Get 2 tattoos at the same time (breast cancer awareness benefit) One of the tats is a smurf lol.

Buy a 4 dr SUV and not ever take it in FS

Race someone in my old sports car on a major highway going about 180 mph (no shake). The spedometer went to 225.

Have fun shooting at a gun range.

Send money to real and solid charities (like doctors without borders)

Post on this site.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

KARTER:

I was supposedly never going to Retire.

A Witness who did my taxes years ago noted that I contributed to an IRA. They very smugly told me: "you'll never see that money". Well, I'm almost two years retired and that JW passed away probably over two decades ago.

OTWO:

At least you smartened up after 1995 and got serious about a decent job.  Other JWs probably wished they did as well.  I always HAD a decent job (which was why I was viewed negatively).  The religion was selling poverty for single women.  Well, I wasn't buying it.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

See the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican

Be taught meditation by Buddhist monks

Have gay friends

Have a child

Get a degree

Visit my MP

See Paris,Venice, Athens, New York

Volunteer for a mental health charity

Enjoy reading philosophy 

Laugh at dirty jokes

Visit a Spiritualist Church and not be afraid

Get drunk

• zeb
    zeb

raise a family.

pay out a mortgage.

go to college

sit by people who were dying

realise I was not wrong a lot of the time but the wt was... now proven.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    Post on a web site like this

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit