£1 million pound fine

by pepperheart 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

Hi a court in the uk in loughborough have fined the JWs over £1 million pounds for the court costs for a child abuse case in loughborough in the east midlands.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Can we have a news media link please. This is good news.

• La Capra
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Wowza.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Good

As these fines build up one over the other, the WTS might get the point that playing hush up over sexual abuse of children isn't the best possible procedure to pursue.

It should be honestly accepted that many people have exploited this hush up policy concerning this egregious behavior, as a means to escape civil prosecution from government law authorities.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Strictly speaking, there is no fine. It is an award of damages of £275,000 plus costs, which means that Watchtower has to pay the legal costs of the plaintiff. Someone has estimated costs at around £1 million.

All the same, learning that Watchtower will have to pay out £275,000 plus approx £1 million, has made my day. It doesn't look like there is any avenue to appeal, now, either.

• Gargamel
    Gargamel

Indeed, not a fine but compensation + costs.

I doubt that anything can really be true compensation, but at least it could go some way to making restitution for the lost income caused by disturbance to her education - or pay for her adult education. It will also assist with any therapy costs if she chooses to go outside the NHS for help.

I was surprised to see that leave to appeal was denied, but without seeing detailed reasons, it's not possible to comment in-depth on that.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I hope that`s the end of the matter and the JW`s have to fork out one million and 275000 Pounds .

But I wont hold my breath .

smiddy

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Don't the overstuffed fat pigs AKA the watchtower rock star popes AKA the governing body, get it? Why are they still holding on to their weirdo 2 witness rule? They are evil and insane.

• Listener
    Listener

The article reports -

Lord Justice Floyd said it was "fair just and reasonable" to order the church's governing body to pay compensation.

I agree Punkofnice when will the Governing Body get it?

It's more than the 'proper time' for them to make changes and to apologize to all those that have been damaged from their irresponsible policies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit