What Do You Think About Banning Plastic Bags?

by minimus 37 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think if you are committed to a cause, do it 100% or 1000%. But don’t cherry pick what you will do for the environment. If plastic is terrible, don’t use it at all. It’s like these actors and actresses from Hollywood saying how global warming is so terrible and yet they take their jets everywhere they go including to a global warming summit.

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

If they taxed the manufacturers of their products just ten cents or so the value of plastic recycling would go up enough for people all over the world to start recycling old plastics. And yes ban plastics like bags as well also bottles , go back to glass and put a ten cent deposit on them so they’ll be recycled. Good for everyone and this costs will be minimal

• minimus
    minimus

Oh yeah glass is the answer👎🏿

• Biahi
    Biahi

I’m with Hiddenpimo...and I recycle.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BIAHI:

I recycle as well. I have several reusable bags. I also reuse plastic grocery bags in my garbage can and also to hold recyclables.

All in all, I think it’ll a little hopeless because I see overuse of plastics by manufacturers who over-package some products. You end up recycling this excess packaging.

As far as paper is concerned: they try to get everybody to go paperless with statements, etc. which I don’t necessarily think is a bad idea... Meanwhile, I see those idiot flyers, circulars, inserts, coupon brochures ad nauseam all over the damn place! So, they are still wasting paper no matter what anybody claims. I reduced my use of paper towels by purchasing those absorbent cloths made from synthetic material to clean up spills on counters. You wash and reuse them.

I do the best I can.

• waton
    waton

trouble with recycling is that it just gets carted to the landfill (as proven by secretly planted sensors) or dumped at see or Indonesia.

It is not just plastic bags, it is the "one serving containers", puddings, fruit salad, cheese in hard plastic shells.

The trouble is retail from the french word taller' to cut.

selling what should come in family per month portions is marked up into intzy weeny hard shell portions. but should be ladled out by mother into personal, permanent containers / bowls each day. more cost in the packaging to th planet than the food. and

Imagine if they would harvest the burning Amazon trees for pulp production, for all those Amazon cartons.

Stuff is not easy to recycle (like putting in the proper bin, to start), the stuff is dirty, has to be sorted, melted, but

will turn to oil again in a billion years, a kilometer deep down. .

• Chook
    Chook

Great idea if your an octopus.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

minimus as a organic gardener I use alot of paper in my garden. As the saying goes paper is to earth worms as potatoe chips are to teenagers and you get in return worm poop. One of the best fertilizers you can get. But I see your point. We use reusable bags but paper would be fine. Still Totally ADD

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD
    Sorry for the double post.
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

There is one big advantage of plastic bags--they double as rubbish bags. So they merely replace one form of plastic with another, and this means my plastic bags contribute zero plastic to the environment that wouldn't have been contributed through plastic rubbish bags bought from the store, at my expense.

And I can think of one far worse culprit: Walmart. They import huge amounts of plastic from China, made by slaves under far worse conditions and polluting far worse per unit of plastic than my grocery bags. And this plastic becomes rubbish quickly, instead of becoming rubbish bags that displace that plastic. Walmart plastic doesn't displace anything. Not to mention all the energy wasted and pollution generated getting this stuff from China to Walmart. And, worse yet, most of this Walmart plastic junk we buy cannot be recycled--unlike plastic bottles.

Price? Plastic grocery bags--nothing (and they save money on rubbish bags). Walmart junk--too much. You save nothing--a pair of shoes from a famous company based in southeastern Maine costs me about 3 times more than a pair of plastic Walmart shoes that lasts less than 1/8 as long (and are more uncomfortable, requiring additional plastic in the form of insoles to make bearable--my expensive shoes require no insoles). In the end, by paying 3 times as much once, I am saving 8 pairs of plastic shoes from the landfill or ocean (plus the insoles, and the pollution generated getting them from China 8 times). This goes with clothing (from this same company, I get clothing that lasts multiple times what Walmart items would have lasted, for maybe double or triple the price plus less plastic in the landfill and oceans).

Yet, with all this (and Walmart pollutes the environment excessively in so many other ways that are well known--The High Cost of Low Prices documentary details this), when are they going to ban Walmart? Not to mention the abusive conditions Walmart workers must endure, that they infest whole regions and drive quality and wages, and variety, down, and they ruin whole neighborhoods bringing in the lowest classes of people to bring in their drugs and whatnot. I think I would rather keep my plastic bags that double as rubbish bags, save on rubbish bags, and keep some 80% of my stuff out of the landfills by getting longer lasting items.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit