What Did You Think Of The Songs Sung At The Kingdom Hall?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• solomon
    solomon

They definitely ruined the songs that we had as kids in the 60’s.

The problem with the watchtower in everything they do is how they define qualifications. An accomplished musician who is a low hour publisher would never be able to write a song for the organization. A bethel elder’s tone deaf wife who can’t carry a tune even if the bucket was provided for her would be their choice to write songs. This goes on and on. That’s why the organization is falling down around them and they can’t even see it.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

what was the title of the song that went--" what will you bring, Jehovah's kingdom..?" it was quite catchy--but i dont think it was in the 60's song book.

some of the titles were quite funny--but i like to invent even better ones..

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

.......and there was always that attention seeking old biddy that would sing like an Opera singer that had just been probed by an alien whilst listening to the Shaggs album.

'OoooOOOOooOOooooOOOOoOoOOOOOOOoooooOOOOO!'

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

Punkofnice that was my mother your talking about, 😂

Did they not have to change some of the songs in the older songbook because they sounded like worldly songs and national anthems .

• Overrated
    Overrated

As Jw kid growing up, "forced" to go to those dreadful meetings. I would rewrite/sing Kingdumb songs. My personal favorite. " We are Gee-hovah 's Dumbasses! " which was a hit with like minded youth.

• Davros
    Davros
    what was the title of the song that went--" what will you bring, Jehovah's kingdom..?" it was quite catchy--but i dont think it was in the 60's song book.
    some of the titles were quite funny--but i like to invent even better ones..

This is Jehovah's Day!

His Rule is here to stay

Satan's old order will soon pass away......

(something something...)

What will you bring Jehovah's Kingdom?

Oh God!!! It's burned into my BRAIN!!!!!!

• Overrated
    Overrated

Most of the Kingdumb songs where Cringeworthy. I had an aunt and cousin that would bellow out those tunes every meeting. Talk about Cringeworthy.

• Ding
    Ding

When I was studying with the JWs and attended my first meeting, I had two impressions:

1. Everyone loved singing all the songs.

2. I didn't know any of the words or melodies and felt really out of place.

• minimus
    minimus

FF that was funny!

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Does anybody remember that song, can't remember the title, maybe it was something like "Praise Jah" or "Praise Jah With Me?"

There was a line in that song, something about calling to Jehovah for help in times of distress.

The line, as I recall, was this:

"Our calls for succor, he quickly will hear"

"Succor" being a rather obsolete word for "assistance in times of distress". Probably Karl Klein (mentioned earlier in this thread) was quite proud of himself for finding a two-syllable word that fit the meter.

Anyway.

So, in English, "succor" when spoken is indistinguishable from "sucker", which means "one who sucks" and "sucks" is one of those almost-but-not-quite dirty words that "good" JWs don't use.

And of course in modern times, if you hear the word pronounced [suk-er], 999 times out of a thousand someone will think "sucker" not "succor".

The horror! What is a good JW to do? Can't be singing about "suckers" to Jehovah!

So, when that line was reached in the song, it sounded something like this:

80 decibels: "Our calls for...."

40 decibels: "Su - mumblety mumble - er"

80 decibels: "...he quickly will hear"

It was a source of never-ending amusement to my teenaged brain. Hey, when you're stuck in the Kingdom Hall for 2 + hours and would rather be watching "Happy Days" or "Welcome Back Kotter", you look for enjoyment wherever you can find it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit