Do JWs now allow some gambling?

by mickbobcat 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I had seen a video Evens did where he said that JWs now say if you gambling for entertainment its OK. Anyone have any link to the cult actually in print or video saying this?

• iXav
    iXav

This is an extract from the Elders book about gambling as a non disfellowshiping offense.

source here : https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/do95cn/we_can_now_gamble_does_anyone_know_the_article/

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Does that mean my dollar lotto is ok, but 20 is not? Winning is my only hope to pioneer 🤯

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

No. You probably still can't buy lotto tickets, but now it's totally acceptable to play bingo with all the blue hairs at the fire hall. 😁

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I believe the Elders book also says that celebrating a birthday is also not a disfellowshipping offense, but current articles still use the phraseology that JWs 'do not' gamble or celebrate birthdays. So in practice, nobody will dare to do it... kind of like growing beards.

• Tedwin
    Tedwin

so you can gamble on your birthday with a beard and your not DFed. but don't you dare smoke a cigarette?

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

I would guess the elder's manual is probably referring to JWs playing poker with each other and the like, so long as they are not "high stakes". Maybe a "loser buys the beer" arrangement for golf, or small bets on football games.

Traveling to Las Vegas for the primary reason of gambling thousands of dollars would probably, in the viewpoint of most elders reflect a "course of greediness" (where on earth do they come up with these tortured, awkward phrasings???).

But as always, the key is "stumbling others". If Sister Blue-Hair catches wind of your Friday night card game and runs to the elders in a self-righteous snit, well, that's the end of that.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

If Sister Blue-Hair catches wind of your Friday night card game and runs to the elders in a self-righteous snit, well, that's the end of that.

That's why you always invite an elder to your Friday night card game

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

maybe the watchtower management have realised that relaxing / rescinding all these petty rules and regulations or making them matters of conscience will eventually make the cult a bit more popular. Which means more bums on seats..

which means more money.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    maybe the watchtower management have realised that relaxing / rescinding all these petty rules and regulations or making them matters of conscience will eventually make the cult a bit more popular.

Far more likely: certain Bethel "heavies" have a regular card game every weekend, that is well-known throughout the halls of Bethel. So saying that "petty" gambling is allowed creates the loophole to allow them to continue without interference.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I always think that any softening of rules is done to allow for the heavies' to "get away" with stuff they want to do themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit