Alerts etc

by Xanthippe 10 Replies latest forum suggestions

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I wonder if it's possible for those of us who've been out decades to have alerts or alternatively see a grouping of threads in a folder or something similar if something actually happens of interest in the Borg.

I'm not really interested in the day to day stuff about this cult but I would like to know if anything drastically changes as my siblings and their kids are still trapped. I don't know anything about creating the code for forums so I don't know what is possible but if you don't ask you don't get. This is not a criticism it's just time for me to move on and just drop in occasionally.

• Simon
    Simon

I can understand the idea but the problem is who gets to decide what is important, particularly to you.

If I added an "important news" area, people would post to it for anything and everything - like they did with "best of" ... because some people will decide that their stuff is the best and also really important (usually because it's an important message from god!).

I think the best solution would be to have some labels or hashtags that people could apply and then have views of most-labelled.

But I'm not convinced it would be important enough to enough people to warrant it. I think most people are either interested or move on.

• jp1692
    jp1692

#DoctrinalChanges

#TomoRants

#FlipFlops

#Proofitsacult

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

And to add to Simon's words, often the Governing Body downplays something highly significant that slips through at first. People start asking questions, asking, "Did I read this right?" Others ask for clarification, and then bingo! We suddenly have something significant.

Sometimes it's a rumor nobody believes and then, suddenly, whamo! It gets verified and suddenly with all the jabber, multiple postings, and postings that tie in, you just can't pinpoint anymore where it started from.

Cults are insidious. They are not only designed this way to slip "a list of charges" under the door and hope nobody sees, they practice and fine tune the art. So while I think it's a wonderful idea, the nature of the beast makes it impractical, nay, nearly impossible to always know when some significant, drastic change has been introduced.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes I thought that would be the problem Simon, deciding what is important. I suppose I only want to hear if the religion collapses and the HQ in America is shut down. Anything else is just well to be honest a bit boring when you've been out as long as I have. I don't mean people's experiences of leaving, they've been fascinating and sometimes heart-rending.

It was interesting to hear about the ban in Russia but I think as many people on here have also said, my family will just see that as persecution and get even more entrenched.

I still hold out hope that the child abuse court cases will suddenly snowball and the payouts will bankrupt this cult.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I'm not really interested in the day to day stuff about this cult but I would like to know if anything drastically changes as my siblings and their kids are still trapped.

I know where your coming from X ....,I just think you have to come here either week to week or even month to month and just sift through the posts to see what interests you. and go from there.

I have been out since 1993 and I am really only interested in what latest garbage they are spewing out.though admittedly their have been some gems that posters have brought out that I would never have known about if it wasnt for this site.

I have learnt more about JW`s on this site than what I knew about them in the 33 years I was a JW ,what does that tell you apart from the fact I was a dumbass .

You need to keep coming here for the sake of your siblings and their kids.and your own peace of mind.The Borg is not going anywhere anytime soon ,so you need to be here when something does arise you can help your family members with.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yeah that's why I came here in the first place Smiddy to help my family and a friend of my husband's who got in contact. I will pop in from time to time.

I actually love to hear about people's lives on here. Where they've travelled to, their families, people getting an education late on and starting a new life. Love that. Just don't want to know what the latest watchtower says. Had enough of that when I was in. Take care.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I, too, enjoy the fascinating people on here.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Simon, Would it be possible to have posted somewhere, all the latest WT new word terminology and what it is replacing?

It has always been in my mind that WT is constanting changing up their latest 'cult' words, so that they can trip up supposed apostates. If anyone says "Who is your presiding overseer?" Those are really old words now. Or asks, who is your district overseer? They might not know that there are no longer any district overseers.

I don't know how you would set it up but I think it would be helpful to everyone. And, for any Bethel spies reading on your forum, that will really blow holes in their little boat, that all of us are up to date in their latest JW..org words, and they can't catch us that way any longer.

• ambersun
    ambersun
    If anyone says "Who is your presiding overseer?" Those are really old words now. Or asks, who is your district overseer? They might not know that there are no longer any district overseers.

This is really interesting LoisLane. I never understood why words or expressions were changed and then often changed back again. I wonder if this is why Fred Franz changed the term for field service back in the early 70s? We had always said that we were "on the ministry" and then suddenly we had to say that we were "out in service". This lasted a few years, then it was back to using the word "ministry" again. It seemed such a lot of fuss over the use of a word.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit