Which Public Talks did you enjoy giving/hearing? And which ones did you dislike giving or hearing?

by humblepotato 20 Replies latest jw friends

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I had a collection of 6 or 7 talks and then I moved to different language congregation and it took me years to qualify for giving talks...research for more recent statistics on earthquakes opened the floodgates. I saw how the WT used partial quotes or even misquoted sources to support their false claims...I believe the talk was special talk #105..I gave the talk locally and once in a neighbouring congregation...I was scheduled to give it again but I just couldn't so I resigned as a MS and faded away.

• zeb
    zeb

never gave any but hated the ones where the talk was clearly strung out to fill in the time.

Now consider;

• the sermon on the mount
    • the Gettysburg address
    • Churchills Battle of Britain speech
    • The inauguration of Mandela as South Africa's President

all took apx 20 minutes.

The wt never learned that longer is not better.

• Perry
    Perry

I liked talks that featured Jesus prominently.... still do. He was the most fascinating person in history. The whole world counts time by his birth. He came back from the dead and showed himself to hundreds. It is one of the most well attested events in antiquity.

I remember how excited my mother got when the Listening to the Great Teacher book came out. She said something to the effect that "finally we have a book about Jesus". She also said something about how that should stop the critics that say that JW's don't believe in Jesus.

Of course, JW's believe in Jesus existence, they just don't believe that Jesus was talking to them when it comes to salvation.

• toweragent
    toweragent

I never liked the ones dealing with science. So far off in my opinion...

But I always think it boils down to the person giving the talk... not so much the talk. ex: if the brother giving the talk is harsh and unapproachable, the talks on comfort and mercy have no power or meaning.

But if the brother is a really cool, nice, down to earth guy... even they can make the crazy stuff sound not so bad sometimes.

And if you got a really kind-hearted person giving a talk on mercy and forgiveness, that was pretty much perfect.

So I think it has more to do with the speakers ability.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Don't remember the title but there is one about creation that tries to disprove evolution. Absolutely ridiculous! It takes the debatable points and tries to argue those but avoids the hard questions that JWs just can't answer.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Humblepotato,

Talks with 607 and 1914 could be used to seed thoughts, encourage research and questions asked such as:

* How many could explain this? Why not?

* How would you answer if a household asked you...? Are you truly prepared to answer?

* Have you looked at approved sources Watchtower has quoted from to support these views?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I used to love giving "The wonders of God's creation", I cringe at what I used to say now.

• New day
    New day

My fave ones were on love. I loved giving "love identifies the true Christian congregation" and another love one, can't remember the name now. Both based on 1 Corinthians 13. Christian qualities, yah! I avoided the prophecy and end of the world ones.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

It was the speakers who gave them, rather than the talks they gave. When I was a kid I called one elder 'Brother Sominex'-which was a sleep aid at the time. Some brothers were really good speakers and they could've spoken about how to make soap and made it interesting.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I used to love giving any talk that dealt with history or science. They were almost always butchered by people who barely understood the world was not flat.

But after learning TTATT I stopped giving those in favor or ones that dealt with topics like love - resurrection - love - forgiveness... I took as much of the crap out of them that I could, minimized use of the bible, and used the J word as little as possible.

But it didnt take long before I could not even give those. It was time to get out.

And Most Hated EVER! Were almost every wedding talk and the Dogly view of Sex and Marriage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit