It's Shark Week on TV ... anybody watching the shows?

by RubaDub 9 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

With the virus thing going on, there's more TV time here in the Rub a Dub household.

Watching Jaws for the 20th time still is fun. Then all the killer stingray, whales and other sea creatures is interesting.

We watched Moby's Dick last night. It's an old classic like Jaws. I think it starred Jenna Jameson and Harry Reems or whoever.

I always liked the classic sentence when Captain Ahab (Reems) yells out, "thar she blows."

A classic movie at its finest.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Jaws is a great movie.

I never tire of watching it.

I'm still surprised it had a PG-13 certificate in theatres and is rated 12 here in the UK (viewers must be aged 12 or older to legally view the movie).

The following scene, featuring the shark attacking and devouring Quint, is horrific (and well done).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmLP0QQPqFw

In my opinion, Jaws should be an R-rated movie.

• Justaguynamedmorph
    Justaguynamedmorph

Jaws is all time great and nobody can tell me otherwise.

interestingly it WAS rated R initially, but Spielberg cut a little here and there to squeak it through as PG. PG-13 was not an option at the time.

i used to love discovery shark week but it no longer has much appeal for me. Lots of rehash and not much actual reporting on shark research. Then they did those bogus docudramas a few years ago that walked a very fine line between fiction and outright trying to fool people who were not paying attention for bogus ratings.

I check the schedule and if something looks new and interesting i watch, otherwise its a nonevent for me.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Loved the movie Jaws. Parts of that movie scared the sh*t out of me. I was an avid scuba diver when Jaws premiered but in all of my many diving trips in the waters off Southern California and Central California and the Channel Islands off California, I only saw 2 smallish sharks. Seems that sharks like the east coast of the USA better these days!

That large fish that swallowed old Jonah, now that was a BIG FISH or maybe Jonah was a midget. After-all he was able to hide under a bottle gourd tree that grew up in one day!

just saying!

• Simon
    Simon

I used to love watching The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, he was ahead of his time documenting that sharks aren't the cold killers they have been portrayed as.

Now we have footage like this, which is a world away from the "Jaws" narrative. Of course there are shark attacks but they are pretty rare and usually a consequence of humans encroaching in their world and doing a great impersonation of food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYonjn1oYcQ

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i saw Jaws when it first came out. i was living on the seafront on the isle of Wight UK at the time. i never went in the sea again that year.

• rh3988
    rh3988

Wait...

Shark Week doesn't mean menstruation?

• titch
    titch

Just as a side-note, here in the U.S., there has been a publication, produced by the Time Magazine organization, at stores, a "commemorative" issue regarding the 45th anniversary of the release of "Jaws". I bought a copy. I also remember back in 2000, "People" Magazine had a special issue to remember the movie, and stories about the cast members, and where they were at the time. That year was the 25th anniversary of the movie. Best Regards, Folks...

Titch.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I saw most of Jaws years ago but want to see it again all the way through. (As well as 2, 3D and 4)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's a good little video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRmexiPYnu4

Generally speaking, a shark has one of three forms

Lamnid - these sharks have conical-shape noses, tails with equal-sized lobes, and heavy bodies. They swim with a distinctive stiff manner. Their body temperature is higher than the surrounding water, making these animals efficient swimmers in cooler waters. The Great White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias) is a typical example.

Carcharhinid - these sharks have blunt, flat noses and tails with a longer upper tail fin. This long upper tail fin drives the head downward, whilst the broad, flat nose acts like an aquaplane, keeping the head up and allowing the shark to swim through the water. These sharks often have flexible bodies and can twist and turn to chase prey. The Tiger Shark (Galeocerdo cuvier) is a good example.

And Benthic (bottom-dwelling types) - these forms are typically sluggish in comparison to the above types. These species often have the ability to pump water over their gills, allowing them to rest on the bottom and breathe. The Great White cannot do this - it must keep swimming in order to breathe. The Port Jackson Shark (Heterodontus portusjacksoni) is a good example of a bottom-dwelling species.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit