Assemblies - Before and After Waking Up

by Funchback 29 Replies latest jw friends

• MrsR-Awaken
    MrsR-Awaken

I still go (still in cause of family matters) but it's not not like a pay attention the whole program is boring as hell!! So thanks to having technology (iPad and smart phones) I either play clash of clans, dimming the screen so ppl don't snitch, and surf the Web read post on reddit or other Exjw forums and text with my husband next to me when something interesting happens in the platform. So yeah it sucks going but at least we pass the time doing all this. I hate the last day payer so annoyingly long, and how about the single sisters that dress up so party like? Excessive make up and prostitute heels? I'm serious it's like a circus with them and it amuses me to watch them (Mabey they trying to catch a future husband) idk but every time I go to a Assembly I always end up with something to talk about at the end. That's usually my survival kit for now....mabey with all the changes the Borg is having we might have choirs at the assemblys

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Last summer was my last assembly in Montreal at the big assembly hall in P.A.T. I felt exhausted and ill on the Sunday and promptly had a panic attack during the WT review with the drones on stage. It sounded like the satan worship in the movie 'Vanishing Point' I went to the bathroom to regroup and decided to never go back after that.

The OP mentioned being a parking attendant, I did that once and was super polite and would wish everyone a nice assembly look them right in the eyes. Most were shocked ! hehe Typically they use young buff arrogant brothers looking for babes and oohhing and aahhing nice high en rides that they hope to commandeer off car lots at armaggedon.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Eventually, to save money, the WTBTS decided to have everyone BYO food (making like the decision was to benefit the people). They also tied to this the "rule": Do not go to public vendors and buy your lunch. Bring your own! Me thinks this was because, if you spend money on food, you will donate less to the Society.

When WTS stopped "selling" food because it might be considered a profit that was taxable to the government, they hoped the members would donate enough money to still keep offering the food (which was a huge cash cow for them). Well, the members did not. So food was done away with.

The reason they insisted so heavily that people bring their own food was that many stadiums/auditoriums had kitchens and venders and wanted to open these during the JW events, but Watchtower said "Our people would not use your venders, they are there to be among their brothers and sisters and would rather bring their own." Really, it was as you say- money going to the vender would not make it into the box. Could you imagine the pizza, hot dog, beer, venders being open during an assembly?

By the time I was fully awake, I attended one District Assembly still as an elder and barely paid attention to anything said but kept busy as an attendant. I couldn't imagine sitting there for even a public talk now, without laughing out loud at the logic flaws and comedy of misunderstood conceptions.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.............................................................................At WBT$/JW Assemblies,I`m An Important "Quiet Sign" Holder..

.......................................................................................................I USED TO BE AN IMPORTANT..

............................................................................................ ASSEMBLY PARKING LOT "SPEED BUMP"..

• Giordano
    Giordano

Our last assembly was somewhere in Connecticut.......... we intentionally got there late to shorten the time and had to sit in an overflow room listening to the talks etc.. That puts a very different face on things as you have no distractions.

When it comes down to it being a JW was, in my opinion, all about people...social contacts, friends, interesting looking folks, different cultures and races. I think that was the glue, where the pride came from.That was the living heart of the religion and the only thing going for it.

Just listening to the speakers, the prayers, the songs was a negative experience for my wife and I and this was in the mid 1960's...... At a time when this was the 'truth' by default as there was no internet to really understand TTATT.

So after the first talk........ always in that overly sincere speaking voice filled with the assurance that Jehovah....never Jesus....was with us........ that the Society had the truth of it....We could take no more and left.

Because finally......We had the truth of it!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    the last big arse-sembly i ever attended was at the old wembley stadium--London UK---in about 1969--70 ? appalling. rained the whole time. utterly miserable pointless waste of several days. i vowed i would never go again--and i kept my promise.
  • Khaleesi
    Khaleesi
    I hated the fact that as a married couple you couldn't display open natural human affection at assemblies, no hugging, no cuddling, or peck kissing or cheek kissing with your spouse, if you did the attendants would come up to you & say you were a distraction... this happened on a couple of occasions, we told them to mind their own business!
  • antes8080
    antes8080

I remember going to Dodgers stadium in the late 80's. I imagine that Shasta went out of business after the Jw stop buying so much soda. I enjoyed the pudding and Danish.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yup, Wingcommander, I got baptized in that pool at Grantville Assembly Hall in the eighties. It was pretty cool as baptismal pools go. I never wanted to be baptized in a big swimming pool at the DCs.

We went to the Vet in Philly, but we also went to the Capital Center near DC a lot, too. It was lovely because it was enclosed and air conditioned. We went to RFK stadium once (hell; open air and it rained) and a racetrack in Delaware once which was okay because it was covered.

But, yeah, that was some ugly orange carpet in Grantville.

• done4good
    done4good

The Vet...Nice try getting me to go there, when I moved to the area in 1998. My ex-wife came back one Friday afternoon, (I was out of town on business and returned Friday evening), with the worst sunburn I had ever seen, and I said NO WAY are we going there tomorrow...

The previous 5 years, (1993-1997), I lived in Northern NJ, and attended Nassau Colosseum in Uniondale, NY, (a nice, air conditioned indoor facility for those that are not familiar with the area), after attending Yankee Stadium/Giants Stadium since the late '70s-1992. NO chance of going to any outdoor facility, let alone that heat stroke fest in Philly...we went back to Uniondale from that point onward.

I never went to any assembly or meeting after waking up to TTATT. I would have needed to be seriously medicated...

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit