Do flat earth beliefs deserve respect?

by azor 29 Replies latest jw friends

• azor
    azor

What say you.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Good question.

No. Because all the evidence points to this not being true.

To wilfully ignore evidence results in my lack of respect.

It's like being asked to respect someone who actually believes in fairies. Why would you?

• Heaven
    Heaven

No. Check out Eratosthenes of Cyrene and how he figured out the Earth's surface was curved.

• cofty
    cofty

They should be put in the stocks in the public square so that children can throw rotten fruit at them. Same goes for evolution deniers.

• Gargamel
    Gargamel

I say 'no!', but someone's right to believe it deserves respect so long as it harms no other.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

You know, I have looked into the 'Flat Earth' theory. It doesn't add up at all to me. C'mon, We're in the 21st century here right? Actually, it's laughable. The hollow earth theory seems much more plausible to me.

I find it hard to respect a belief as ridiculous as the flat earth theory. I respect them on the level that I respect circus clowns.

Do circus clowns deserve respect? What say you?

TB-

P.S. I feel that in most cases respect is earned, not given idly.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

No. They go to ridiculous lengths to prop up their distorted world view (literally) when if they expended a small fraction of the same effort they would find the earth is a sphere like everyone else knows to be true.

Stupid beliefs need to be mercilessly exposed for being such and deserve no respect at all.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I'm glad we've finally got around to discussing this topic. It's a subject we have really neglected on this forum.

I'd also ask:

Does the idea that there is one "correct" way of looking at situations or aspects of the world deserve respect?

• azor
    azor

Sbf wow just wow.

• azor
    azor

Time bandit. Just because I pose a question does not mean I support it in the affirmative. I'm trying to make a point here about beliefs and respect of such in general.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit