The Debate Is Over...

by JW_Rogue 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

For years theologians and historians have researched who the historical person known as Jesus was and how much of the biblical account could be verified. Countless books have been written going into great detail. This has been a controversial subject with some even claiming that Jesus never existed. Now all that has been settled though, by a four page article in the latest Awake! magazine. Using about ten quotes, bullet points and some attractive illustrations, it is proven once and for all that Jesus did exist. They even have room to explain his teachings and what his kingdom will do for mankind.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

If I could describe the writings of the WTBTS in one word ... angrifying.

• steve2
    steve2

Let me guess:

At some point in that simplistic 4-page spreader, the writer would have either directly or indirectly mentioned JWs as the ones fulfilling Jesus' word.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I know, I felt the same way when I read the short article. I thought, that's it? Just a few quotes from historians of the time and that's your proof? Oh, and the Bible says so too, yeah, forgot about that. After I read the article I thought it was really lame. Anyone could have done that.

• Saename
    Saename

Yeah... That article was really disappointing. You would've thought that Jehovah's Witnesses would be most eager to prove Jesus' existence, but in reality, they barely even scratched the surface. What really annoys me, though, is that Jehovah's Witnesses are all happy now because they think this is all the information needed to conclude whether Jesus existed. And when you try to explain to them that this article is not enough but is just too simple, they automatically call you a dangerous apostate who opposes the Governing Body. Their ignorance can at times get to you. They don't know how many facts they're missing, yet they claim to know everything about the subject.

By the way, I believe they also had one quote from a non-historian as evidence of Jesus' existence. It might have been Einstein or some other scientist. Basically, their argument was that since a smart atheist believed Jesus existed, he must have existed. The article was no doubt written by a fool with access to some type of mini-Wikipedia.

Edit: Just checked. It was Einstein's quote. And he wasn't an atheist but a pantheist.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    Who cares if Jesus existed. Can they prove that Jesus is divine and still exists?... Oh shoot, I forgot, the Bible says so. Never mind, I am out of challenging questions.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

Lets be honest, where do they get their information for their articles? From other religious leaders, it's not like they have a research team digging in the ruins of Egypt, WT scholars researching ancient scrolls.These bozos get their information the same as us, the internet and not from the man above. Talking about a time machine in another topic, if we could go back and ask Jesus, "do you have any idea how famous you are"? Jesus"you shitting me, thats' my picture, I never did that the man was sick not dead".

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I like the quotes they used from old writers like Josephus. His quote they mentioned is a known forgery , and then he goes and called Vespasian the messiah. The other quotes could of easily been refuring to any number of gods called christs, like Serapis or Helios. But hey the jws won't do any research anyway.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Proving Jesus existed proves nothing of importance, I'll accept Jesus existed if you wish. Now, prove to me that he had no human father, that he walked on water, raised the dead and was eventually resurrected himself to live forever as a non-human entity.

No?

You've got nothing.

• smiddy
    smiddy

When its all boiled down Jesus never really said much at all .

He never wrote anything down at all

He is supposed to have died for all mankind , yet he never spoke to all mankind , only the Jews.

Mainly , what he has supposedly accomplished comes from second and third hand witnesses.

He lived for 33 years but only preached for 3 of those years

He is spoken of as the greater Moses , however , he doesnt come within cooee of what Moses accomplished in his life.

He is qouted as an authority on marriage , children ,and women , yet he never experienced living with a woman / sex , or having children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit