Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)

by Simon 12 Replies latest social physical

• Simon
    Simon

I stumbled across something the other day that made me sit up because it seemed to perfectly describe a feeling I experience from time to time that apparently isn't uncommon.

It's called Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response or "ASMR" and is a kind of tingly feeling on/in your head. You can read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

I always kind of liked when it happened but never knew what it was or what triggered it (but have since been paying more attention and have a better idea). It turns out there are people who really chase this thing and there is an ASMR reddit site and numerous people who make videos to trigger it in others. It's huge - some of the videos have many millions of views.

Who knew?!

Anyone else here ever experience it?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Never. I've gotten a tingly feeling in my elbow when I've hit my funny bone, but not in my head.

I have heard of this, though, and it is kind of interesting.

• Simon
    Simon

It feels strange to be on the side of "I've experienced this" with science saying "we don't know if this is a thing or not".

It's so occasional, the practicalities make the chance of studying it (and getting funding to study it) probably low.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

It's also weird when you find out that something you've experienced all your life is not experienced universally.

I've always gotten a really weird feeling/taste in the back of my throat right before vomiting.

It's just not something that ever comes up. And then I learned that other people had never even heard of it, let alone experienced it.Yet, others were completely familiar with it.

Bodies are weird.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

On occasion, in the middle of the night while fast asleep, I would sense a rippling sensation inside my head that did not feel unpleasant but still worried me though. I had some control over its onset but was afraid that it might have been something like a stroke so I decided to end it.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Simon, did you recently acquire Tupperware from a garage sale?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Do you happen to listen to Beautiful Anonymous, Simon? If so, I heard the same, though I have a friend that likes to listen to it.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It happens to my cat a lot..

Then he starts acting All Weird..

Image result for crazy cat

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Let me file this under, "weird things I would never have heard about were it not for the Internet".

I got online in 2000 and I'm still half expecting the Internet to be a passing phase and for reality to return to 1990s "normal" at some point.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Ok a long time ago. Never a JW so it was ok for me to do this. I worked in upper management and the higher ups were really getting very concerned about our stress levels. They brought in this group of consultants to help us manage our stress better. The one technique which I learned and still use today was self hypnosis. It is where you sit very quietly, soft music and tell your body to relax progressively to relax passing the energy from the head into the neck, then the shoulders, then arms and so on.

It is an amazingly relaxing experience if done the right way. Stress is released and the head and body feels completely different. I am sure there is a name for this but I have no clue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit