The Myth of being "Spirit Appointed"

by BluesBrother 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Watchtower 1992 1/02 p13
    However they soon reverted to perpetrating the myth that each appointment is the result of direct action by the Holy Spirit....Why?

Similar to the WT, this quote from 2009:-

To this day, responsible men are selected to serve as overseers in the congregation. The elders carefully consider the Scriptural qualifications required of such overseers, and they pray for the guidance of holy spirit. The congregation thus views such men as appointed by holy spirit. Bearing Witness (2009) p19 par22.

I'm sure this is still the current view and of course the GB is "neither inspired nor infallible" and the Baptismal question was revised recently to remove inspired from "God's Inspired Organisation".

There are too many examples, as shown here, of bad decisions and appointments being made.

George

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Sadly I know of a few elders who genuinely believe they were appointed by divine provenance and that whatever rubbish comes out of their mouths should be heeded accordingly.

Worse still is the fact that certain R+F agree with the stupid belief. Either that or they are worried about disagreeing with said elders in case they are then accused of sinning against the holey spirit.

But what else can you expect from a man-made cult.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LOST IN THE FOG:

I never believed that ANYBODY was appointed by ‘holy spirit’.

In the later days of my being a JW, I did see that they were trying to elevate the elders ever higher. Nauseating. Nobody there ever got any special attention from Me!

• Littlewilly
    Littlewilly

The core problem with the JW religion is that at one time the leaders (J Rutherford etc.) of this organization proclaimed Jehovah had chosen them(him) as his solemnly spirit directed organization (1919).

Putting essentially the power of god, through scripture, into their hands.

The prevailing human folly of that has resulted in the destruction of many and numerous problems too many to list.

• asp59
    asp59
    My view is showing the fruit if the spirit in the persons life. As GB members never really liked working on the fruit as it seems, they turn it to write you preach 10 hours a month as annoited by spirit. But now when they heading to be an online religion who cares about appointments in KH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit