The Myth of being "Spirit Appointed"

by BluesBrother 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Funky nailed it. Yes, there are a few of those elders out there that truly try living a Christian life and look at how the person is as well as what they do. The rest run it like a business, which is not surprising since the whole religion is a tax break front for a publishing company.

It is just like management of a company deciding who to promote. It's all metrics and numbers. What percentage of all meetings are attended? How many hours are spent in the ministry each month? How many magazines or books are placed (sales numbers) each month. Does the candidate project an image that complies with the company's own image?

I remember getting moved from Magazine Servant to Literature Servant. Our congregation had a horrible problem with being overstocked with literature. I was able to get all the old 192 page books and bound volumes in the hands of the congregation members. I got pulled into the back room by the CO and Secretary and told my monthly hours and magazine placements were exemplary, but my book placements were not exemplary. I was told as the Literature Servant and I needed to be exemplary in book placements.

All assignments and appointments are given based on a business model.

• Funky
    Funky
    It's all metrics and numbers.

Bingo!

Scriptural requirements are "moderate, hospitable, reasonable", etc.

Well how do you measure, for example, "moderation"?

Brother X says "Joe Witness, yes he's moderate."

Brother Y says "Joe Witness, no he's not moderate".

Who's right? Who knows? It's all subjective. Some elders know Joe Witness better than others. Some elders don't know him at all. Brother X says he's moderate, but Brother X has some really weird ideas, so maybe he's not moderate? Brother Y says he's not moderate, but Brother Y sometimes exaggerates, so maybe he's doing it again now. Who knows?

It gets all bogged down in opinion, perspective, history, personalities....

Oh, but hey, field service numbers? What's their monthly average in field service? 10 is bigger than 4 so the brother with 10 must be "more spiritual" than the brother with 4. Let's appoint the brother who must be "more spiritual", otherwise I'll be trapped in this stuffy smelly room with old sweaty men for another 3 hours.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I lived in an area that was mostly construction based economy. It was a resort area. I used to complain that if someone had real issues such as bipolar or mental issues you don't need an electrician or plumber. You get the standard boiler plate Jehovah can fix anything BS

• Littlewilly
    Littlewilly

All these brothers are appointed by holy spirit to care for Jehovah’s precious sheep and serve the interests of the congregation

Unfortunately the power chain on appointed ones leads up to to false prophet liars who operate and control the Watchtower Corporation.

These control leaders made themselves kings of their own subsequent expanding kingdom with all the engaging power and control.

Or maybe they were just corrupt religious charlatans ?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If this is true of appointments then it is also of removals. Many of us resigned because we had had enough of it but that is not always the case.

Some years back a friend of mine on the body, the only one with an insight for people and a caring attitude was removed for making a family decision that was entirely his prerogative as a father. However it went against the advice of The Society, The back-stabbing and character assassination that I witnessed would be more akin to the Tory party (not to be political) then a congregation of Christians.

I was disgusted.

Thanks for all your comments folks....

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

As many have pointed out The qualifications of being a "spiritual man" in JW legaleas means how how high they can jump based on works supporting the publishing company WTB&TS.

The scriptures point out that being a spiritual person is all in the mind, or the point of view. The fruits of the spirit, love, joy, peace etc are the qualities displayed by a spiritual man. WT has perverted this higher mind and thinking level to mean regular meeting attendance, field service hours, commenting at the WT word for word, and complete submission to the indoctrination by the WT.

https://damonjgray.medium.com/what-is-a-spiritual-man-or-woman-1679b6a23ac4

Year's ago, WT waffles on the being appointed by spirit meant that if everything turns out in his life ok, then the individual was finally appointed by spirit. If he turned out to be wicked, he was never spirit appointed.

Jesus prayed over the appointment of the twelve and still had Judas betray him. Oh, but that was prophesized.

• Littlewilly
    Littlewilly

Yes the spiritually anointed and appointed ones is founded upon myth drawn out from ancient mythology (the Bible) through men's wants and endeavors, actually most religious organizations are structured in this way.

Myth (human imagination) from mythology, seems to make sense.

Problem is human imagination can create beneficially good things toward humanity and as well notably harmful things .

• Splash
    Splash
    “gifts in men” include... ministerial servants.

We had a brother baptised and later appointed as a Ministerial Servant all the while he was secretly sexually abusing a child in the congregation.
    Just explain how Holy Spirit works again?
    Isn’t it the unforgivable sin to blaspheme the Holy Spirit?
  • FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Isn’t it the unforgivable sin to blaspheme the Holy Spirit?

One would think so, but if you did and several years go by and it APPEARS to all onlookers that you are being blessed by Gee-HO"-Vuh, then no; no sin, no harm, no foul.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I had often wondered about various things " Where is the Holy Spirit in all this ? " , especially when they did a 360 turn on Doctrine, but also with " Appointments", so many were quite obviously "political" , it was a lot easier to be appointed if daddy was an Elder etc.

My own case was amusing, I was appointed M.S, and was quite happy in those days to " serve my brothers", but never wanted to be an Elder. I was told by one Elder that many times they had wrangled about me being appointed an Elder, but something always held them back, I thought to myself, yes, the feeling that if they did they would be " holding an Asp to their breast" like Cleopatra. He told me they could not really find a reason why not, but I assured him I did not want to be, which I guess is why the matter was not raised again.

But really, where was the Holy Spirit in that ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit