Date a JW student

by Renee86 14 Replies latest social relationships

• blondie
    blondie

FFGhost, very good summary.

• Judgerussellford
    Judgerussellford

Me and my wife were bothe baptized and courting when we asked to be married at the hall. Several brothers turned down our request because we hadn't dated for at least a year. and we eloped in a jewelry store at a mall though we faced silent shunning. Shortly after we both faded out during covid and time of the zoom meetings. 3 years later and were doing fine. In my experiance they can't tell you know but be ready to face persecution for not following guidelines of "divine principles"

• Mum
    Mum

As long as you can keep it a secret, anything goes. I personally know a young woman of the Orthodox faith who has an "illegitimate" child fathered by a JW. Did he marry her? No. She is rearing the child as a single parent. Apparently, none of the local JW's know about the "relationship." What a bunch of hypocrites!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RENEE86:

Of course many JWs there were married to those outside the religion.

The religion is made up of many converts over the years so it stands to reason they were once outside the religion. I was a convert from Catholicism (but I am now 21 years thankfully ‘Faded’ from the JW religion). I always felt the bad attitude the religion has toward somebody in the congregation looking for and dating somebody outside is absurd and should stop..Where the hell do they think they got the bulk of their present members from? They are certainly not all born-ins.

I also thought most of this bias was directed at single female JWs who looked outside for a husband because there’s nobody there for them. The religion knows when a woman gets married they can’t just go up to her asking favors because the husband may tell them off..When the sister got married they lost a potential drudge to do favors. (But, they never got anywhere with me though.)

So, as others have said, some will frown on a JW who is dating somebody outside. But, if two people want to be together I wish them all the best. In time, people there will get over it and come to accept the new person - especially when they see how many Witnesses are jumping ship and leaving the religion nowadays!

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

An old thread, but I thought I'd add another question to it: What if a JW married or dated someone who was disfellowshipped?

Would they be disfellowshipped? Are there clear rules on the subject?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit