Commenting Ban?

by Iamallcool 22 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

Isn't that part of brainwashing 101? read the paragraph, ask question about paragraph, have subject parrot it back. The repetition along with the fear of not going outside the lines is sure to keep group think in check.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Do you think the Watchtower will ban commenting at the meetings one day? If you are PIMO, you might want to try to make some comments to make others think about the “truth”!

Probably not because, think of all the Jobots that wouldn't study(tm) their Washtowel before the meeting(tm).

It's a kind of double down on propaganda.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Firstly, the wt study is a lesson not an open discussion or a debate so as long as the person making a comment is not challenging what is being taught, he is not disrupting the meeting. Questions and answers is only a method of teaching instead of an hour lecture after the hour public talk.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Yes, Q&A is a teaching method. But I used to be in 6th grade, now 3rd, 2nd on the horizon.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Q&A is a teaching method

In the case of the WBT$, it's an indoctrination method.

They are devoid of knowledge. They have nothing to teach.

They want your money and property!

• Ding
    Ding

It's one of the WT's main indoctrination tools.

Only a parroting or mirroring of the printed material is allowed.

Any deviation gets you marked, cut off from commenting, or even brought before a JC.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Two things I learned growing up as a JW.

1) Watchtower, anything JW related is a big waste of time, money and energy.

2) Watchtower is a Con. It cons people out of time and especially money for their ever growing real estate portfolio. Nothing they print or teach is worth anything! Just make empty promises to people just to make a profit.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I don't think the WT Q&A will disappear any time soon. It's not a discussion or debate it is simply reciting the published answers.

However, the CO visit has changed over the years. He used to give 4 talks, now down to 3 and none of them have any audience participation. The older ones on here will remember the CO visit on Saturday evening "new things learned" which was questions on the previous 6 months WT's. He wouldn't take QA's in his Public Talk but would involve the audience in the other two.

Some may also remember the late DO David Carter who would even take answers from the audience at a Circuit Assembly.

George

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    However, the CO visit has changed over the years.

So has the theocratic school where the theme for a talk was chosen by the student and the Bible reading was a talk with personal commentary. Over all there are less personal expressions at the meetings and narrower parameters for commentary from the platform. Talking from the platform is limited to ms and elders except for a presentation or the talk where the theme is given.

• Number 6
    Number 6

@St George of England.

I well remember David Carter. He was in Scotland in the late 1980's and did Q&A from the Circuit Assembly platform.

Had the audience in stitches.

I well remember WT conductors who would engage with audience members who could deliver interesting and instightful answers.

I havent been inside a KH in over 30 years, but the boredom level now must be off the scale if it is simply parroting answers back of the page!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit