A conversation with M. James Penton (Watchtower historian, author and former elder)

by oppostate 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• oppostate
    oppostate

John Cedars' YouTube Channel has a new video interview with James Penton. Lloyd asks some good questions and Jim provides excellent insights about JW history and where the movement may be headed.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim and his former wife, now passed away, at the Christian Believers Conference (of Bible Students). http://www.cbconference.com/

I've also read his books and I'm very impressed with the research he's done.

I highly recommend watching the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8N8AZy0uWk&t=4s

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thanks for posting this.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Good interview. Penton has well thought points, nice to see him.

G.

• Are you serious
    Are you serious

I really enjoyed the interview. He's an encyclopedia on the complete history of WT. Of course he was screwed like many people have been. I may not agree with everything he says regarding beliefs but he comes across as a very nice, reasonable and balanced man. Would love to visit and talk with him.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Great respect for Jim Penton. I have read his books. Iwas a kid when he left the organization and remember the newspaper articles about him and his son David. I remember vividly thinking that he was an evil apostate.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yes it's a must see for for every X-JW. Both done an excellent job

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Apocalypse Delayed was a great book

• never a jw
    never a jw

My three favorite ex-JW writers:

James Penton was the scholar with encyclopedic knowledge about the history of JW's

Carl Olof Jonsson was the indefatigable researcher who left no stones unturned

Raymond Franz was sweet grandpa with the best and most moving story

All three wrote excellent books, each with a personal and unique, but very professional style.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Ray Franz is deceased. The other two have never graced this XJW with their presence since it would be counter productive The infighting and disputing would not advance any ideas or interests they have in religion.

My comment was to a poster that has since been deleted in case you were confused

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Very informative interview. Enjoyed reading Apocalypse Delayed years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit