Letter to my JW elder brother

by Roger Kirkpatrick 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• pbrow
    pbrow

Hey Roger.. awesome letter. DA'ing is a powerful way to formally leave the group that you formally joined. You are literally taking back your power from the organization and telling them in no uncertain terms.. "I no longer give you any power over me" It was a huge weight off my shoulders.

pbrow

• never a jw
    never a jw

SBF:

Editing comments to add content not related to Cofty's comment?? So Watchtoweresque.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Hi Roger

Ref Pete Zahut's comment - Simon

Simon, I believe, is the site owner & administrator / moderator.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

@Pete Zahut, that's the nice thing about having disassociated from the Watchtower for conscientious reasons;

I wasn't thinking about the folks at the Watchtower seeing your post. I was thinking in terms of general security and privacy. At the risk of sounding paranoid, when it comes to posting personal information on the internet, less is more, especially so since I'm guessing your brother didn't give you permission to post his name and his location on the internet, nor would it help your relationship if he were to find out you have done so.

I got the impression that you didn't like the fact that he is shunning you. If it were me, and I had written a letter to my brother trying to point out the ironies of his decision to shun me, I wouldn't post the letter and include both of our names, States and Cities on a public forum where it will live in cyberspace for all eternity.

When it comes to the internet, it's a small world and it would be easy enough for anyone reading your post, to find him and tip him off, even years from now. That alone could ruin all of the good the letter may have done. If I were you, I'd ask the forums moderator to edit your names and locations, off the letter.

Just sayin'

• Roger Kirkpatrick
    Roger Kirkpatrick

@Pete Zahut wrote:

<<At the risk of sounding paranoid>>

Yeah, Pete, paranoia is one of the effects of denying one's true self for so long just to keep from being expelled from a corrupt religion by a group of self-righteous numbskulls. I'm not paranoid any longer. Embracing one's true self is the one of the most exhilarating sensations in the world. As for any future relationship with my brother, I am not interested. He's a pompous ass and always was.

As far as anyone reading information posted on this site, it should be perfectly clear by now that nobody gives a tinker's dam about Jehovah's Witnesses, except for JWs and ex-JWs. Outside of the Watchtower cult, JWs are a complete joke.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Embracing one's true self is the one of the most exhilarating sensations in the world. As for any future relationship with my brother, I am not interested. He's a pompous ass and always was.

@RK

Yeah...I get that but I also know that when people first become a JW they can be a bit over the top about it and drive people away and the same thing can sometimes be true (at first) about for those who leave. They can be a bit hard nosed and can end up burning bridges unnecessarily.

I was on board with your letter and everything you said in it, except for the inclusion of your brothers name and his location. Not a cool thing to do... and as far as pompous asses are concerned, I'm guessing it runs in the family and it's quite possible that your brother has other non JW related reasons to distance himself from you.

• Roger Kirkpatrick
    Roger Kirkpatrick

@Pete Zahut, your point of view is as valid as anyone else's. You may be right.

• pbrow
    pbrow

my point of view is that understated "fuck offs" are the best!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Beautiful, eloquent, clear, irrefutable. I pray it is actually read.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

R,K. , did anything ever become of your letter to your brother ? was their some positive outcome ?

I think after all of these years we would all like to think there was ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit