Personal opinions spouted from the platform?

by purrpurr 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Brian J
    Brian J

And one more that we later found did indeed refer to women's nipples.....

".......sisters! there is no reason you should wear clothing that reveals you are a human thermostat when its cold in the hall...."

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Just reading all the experiences here should tell everyone the Witness religion is an absurd farce and out of control and hardly worthy of respect as far as I’m concerned.

Every idiot there forms their own opinions on this and that and imagines they are going to inflict this on everyone around them! And they wonder why they are losing members? Good riddance to it.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

I'd forgotten all about the "side burn length" thing that happened in the 90s 00s. Also there was a fashion in the early 90s for men to wear doc marten style boots. I remember there was a whole local needs talk from the platform about why brothers should not wear these.

Also in the 80s there was a talk about women wearing culottes (probably haven't spelt it right, I mean those trousers that looked like a skirt)

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

our old loon of a PO was a regular in making an ass of himself,the great tribulation would start by the end of 1999 latest it was'nt even negotiable, there would be millions more jw's if it was'nt for the blood issue, we had a visiting speaker one time in the mid 1980's and he said that we should pray for Terry Waite! (kidnapped and held in Lebanon) We had one congregation that would read out the inter-congregation football result during the announcements on the Service Meeting!

• stillin
    stillin

This dates me, I know, but one elder giving the Public Talk informed all that now they "have these VRC's so that you can bring home modern entertainment FILTH and watch it right in your own living room!"

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I've lost count of all the time elders railed against anything that happened to be currently fashionable.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that that's the real problem...

...they don't want the rank-and-file to look fashionable.

Doesn't matter what the fashion is. Doesn't matter if skirts are short or long, sideburns are full or nonexistent, etc...

...they want JWs to physically stand out from the rest of "The World" (my elder father essentially confirmed this a long time ago, BTW), so if it happens to be trendy, they don't wanna do it (it's the WT equivalent of being contrarian and counter-cultural, IMO).

If they thought they could get away with it, they'd probably ban anything from the past half-century.

And then the half-century before that, too, for good measure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit