The "WE'RE ALL IMPERFECT" Theory.

by pistolpete 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

A recurring theme in this Loyd deal is the WE'RE ALL IMPERFECT-----------Excuse!

The "WE'RE ALL IMPERFECT" phrase, is an over used Watchtower membership cliche, embedded in the minds of JWs and anyone that leaves.

In the real world, there is no such thing as "WE ARE ALL IMPERFECT"

If you don't believe me, what do you think will happen if you get caught for breaking some law like raping some girl, murdering some man, and you get caught and come before a judge and jury?

What will happen if your defense is-------------"I COMMITTED MURDER BECAUSE I'M IMPERFECT"

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The concept of perfection/imperfection is based deeply in Judeo-Christian doctrine. All humans deal with greed, anger, and ignorance. It is part of the human experience. In that sense, we are all perfectly human.

When, where, and how we are raised all lead to concept or ideas that shape or view of reality. Some are right and others not so much. We act on our views.

No matter the case, we are all 100% responsible for our action. All of our actions effect someone else. One of the biggest lies we tell ourselves is that an action will not harm anyone else. Lies such as "What they don't know can't hurt me or them" spurs on wrongdoing.

So being raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses can cause a person to have the wrong view or idea of something. In addition, people tend to turn to narcotics, alcohol, sex, food, and a whole list of things to deal with the mental anguish caused by wrong views. However, this is never an excuse to the choices we make. "We're all imperfect" is not an excuse to wrong doing.

I also do not subscribe to the Judeo-Christian doctrine of crime and punishment. I believe much of this is an egocentric exercise where labels diminish the wrongdoer to make others feel self important. The idea that a person must feel pain and suffering for breaking a law seems to be rather hypocritical, even sadistic. Attaching labels (aka "name calling") is divisive.

I believe the most important thing is that those who do wrong come to have the right view on the matter. That they acknowledge that what they did is harmful to themselves and others. A heartfelt apology and amends, when possible, should be made. All necessary life changes should be made so that the wrongdoing not only cease, but not happen ever again.

We can only hope Lloyd comes to his senses. Based on all reports, Lloyd is not taking responsibility for his actions. In the meantime, I know that the last thing you ever want to do to a person who is narcoticizing some sort of mental suffering is give them money. If they are hungry offer food. If they are cold officer them clothing and a place to stay. Do nothing to further their addiction.

• Simon
    Simon

It's not a defence, it's an excuse, and an utterly lame one.

If the best you can do is say "but ... but ... but I didn't kill anyone" then you really did fail.

And if you contributed to a trafficked girls life of hell, maybe you did worse than kill her.

Most people haven't done wrongs anywhere remotely like he has, so his attempts to claim "we're all the same" and that anyone that condemns him is pretending to be a saint is just more bullshit from the master bullshitter.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The "we're all imperfect" argument makes it seem as if no one can judge another person's behavior. Ever.

I'd say that we have to ignore a veritable mountain of nuance, if we're going to take that approach.

But also... maybe the guy who's family life is in shambles due to his lack of self-control is the wrong guy to be editorializing on the moral failings of a religious group.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    I believe the most important thing is that those who do wrong come to have the right view on the matter. That they acknowledge that what they did is harmful to themselves and others. A heartfelt apology and amends, when possible, should be made. All necessary life changes should be made so that the wrongdoing not only cease, but not happen ever again.

With all due respect, "wrong views" , "right views" try harder, run faster, jump higher... these are WT type solutions. People engage in self destruction because of an emotional hunger, an emptiness that can't be filled no matter their view, or how hard they try to fix it.

What bothers me the most about this whole affair is how long this went undiagnosed. A sex-addict was advocating for CSA survivors on a multi-national very public level. In other words, An inmate was "helping" run the asylum, the arsonist was "helping" the firefighters.

A conscience this seared might have entered the sociopath arena. Not sure professional help can fix that.

• waton
    waton

never mind imperfection, even perfect people make huge mistakes.thing of jesus, he could have debunked the flat earth "theory", the Water above Everest myth, virus microbe cause of illness, mental illness vs "demon possestion" but failed to enlighten us, letting us wait for millennia of imperfect scientist to clear the air.

• Simon
    Simon
    But also... maybe the guy who's family life is in shambles due to his lack of self-control is the wrong guy to be editorializing on the moral failings of a religious group.

If anything, he becomes a walking advertisement for how some people need stricter moral guidance that a religion may provide.

Without it, they have no real sense of right or wrong, or how to behave.

• Average_Zomblisher
    Average_Zomblisher

What's wrong is how others respond to "we are all imperfect" thinkers. Yes, even perfect beings make mistakes, and that one mistake leads them to total destruction like Adam, Eve and rebellious angels.

Being imperfect gives one a chance to correct the wrong, which means forgiveness from a bad decision one has made in life, a chance for redemption. It is something that perfect beings do not have; one mistake, and they are doomed.

This activist in question, not a religious leader nor representing a religion, is not perfect, but many are swift to execute him like he is somewhat perfect.

• just fine
    just fine

The “We’re all imperfect “ defense is just a way to try and deflect responsibility for one’s actions. We can’t possibly be responsible for our own bad actions because “we’re all imperfect.”

I’ve heard it so many times from my JW relatives. Funny how it never applies when they are going to disfellowship someone.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    The “We’re all imperfect “ defense is just a way to try and deflect responsibility for one’s actions.

Yep. It is also a thought stopping cliché designed to terminate a discussion. It never worked on me as a kid. It always irritated me and made me dig deeper to see what was so important that was trying to be hidden.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit