Covid / India

by stan livedeath 36 Replies latest social current

• iXav
    iXav

What is the percentage of people dying after taking the vaccine to the general population who have had the vaccine without any major side effects?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The Hongkong based Asia Times, now owned by a former New York based financier (who claims to have voted for Trump in 2016) provides fairly unbiased views of contemporary Asia recently published two articles on the Indian Covid debacle:

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/indias-covid-catastrophe-could-have-been-avoided/?fbclid=IwAR1mMPQIzMpgzLvzT3Tij17IbJoNt6cg_A_YtkoMn6Fy96v1UOMEeghQh_0

and

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/indias-super-rich-flee-unimaginable-horror-in-private-jets/

• iXav
    iXav

I wonder if the situation in India is not an attempt to cleanse/get rid of the poor by letting Corvid19 do their dirty job for them.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

iXav: i doubt that the situation is as cold-blooded as that. If we need to know that India is class ridden by the caste system.

Quote: (from a BBC article) "The caste system divides Hindus into four main categories - Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Vaishyas and the Shudras. Many believe that the groups originated from Brahma, the Hindu God of creation" - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-35650616#:~:text=The%20caste%20system%20divides%20Hindus,the%20Hindu%20God%20of%20creation.

and, "The main castes were further divided into about 3,000 castes and 25,000 sub-castes, each based on their specific occupation. - Outside of this Hindu caste system were the achhoots - the Dalits or the untouchables."

So the upper castes think they become unclean if they touch the untouchable and generally are not paticularly interested in any group below their status.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

This post references PistolPete's first post on this thread, (That's post 4 from the start) with a al jazeera video examining the lack of toilets (both private and public) in India.

That video was posted on YT in 2010. I did back there sometime post quite a lot of information about that situation. It was (and still is) a huge problem. Neither the British Colonial government, nor subsequent Indian government's had ever tried to do anything about.

It was and is a huge health problem, to what extent open defecation plays in the spread of the coid19 has not been analysed (as far as I know) but it likely does. But it is also a safety problem for women in particular, has having to both piss and shit in public, often leads to rape.

So when I saw the al jazeera video that PP posted my curiousity was aroused, because i knew that the Modi government had started a program in 2014 to build toilets for everyone in India ( the Swachh Bharat - Clean India Program) and in 2019 had declared victory - so was it still true that lots of people still had no access to working toilets?

Sadly, it appears that the Modi goverments claims are another kind of SHIT- (i.e. bullshit). The situation is better, but it is still a big problem.

I found this article, published by a media groups named C/net, with the Headline:

India spent $30 billion to fix its broken sanitation. It ended up with more problems

The Swachh Bharat mission, launched in 2014, was an ambitious effort to stop open defecation. It's far from reaching that goal.

Link: https://www.cnet.com/news/india-spent-30-billion-to-fix-its-broken-sanitation-it-ended-up-with-more-problems/

and this video, made by a community action group called Video Volunteers* that posts videos on public problems in India>

Link: (the video was posted in 2020) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elEkUFtTrII

* Video Volunteers (VV) is working to create an alternative media landscape in which thousands of people around the world, living in slums and villages, are producing high quality video content that brings awareness to communities and empowers them to take action. - We create models of sustainable, locally owned media, and devise training programs that give communities the journalism, critical thinking and creative skills to run them.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Maybe the full horror of an out-of-control Covid19 pandemic can be seen in this SBS news video.

SBS is a semi independent government owned media sesrvice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0fiKbOvCCA

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

How big of a problem is COVID really in a land where there is insufficient food, water and sanitation?

200 children under 5 die daily from lack of proper sanitation in India. In 2010 the average life expectancy was under 65 years. Annually 18.6 people per 100,000 die in India from lack of sanitary provisions, and 145 infants per 100,000 born die due to lack of medical facilities.

COVID in India kills less than 7 per 100,000, tuberculosis kills 190 and malaria more than 50.

That is nearly 7000 infants that die per year simply from sanitation problems. Since COVID started they had 2600 deaths from that. Unsurprisingly a disease that affects primarily people over 65 and obese people doesn’t affect a country that doesn’t have many people over 65 or obese people.

Sure they may be seeing a bit of a surge but twice the number of kids died yesterday from sanitation problems than any age group died of COVID.

Perspective is key. If you think COVID is bad where you live, move to India, you probably won’t die of COVID there.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    Anony Mous

Wow, thanks for posting that information about India. I knew things were bad over there but I had no idea what the stats were.

Perspective is key.

Yep, when I was reading your post, my girl has cooked a medium rare T Bone Steak and eggs for breakfast. I ate while on my computer and the maid was cleaning the downstairs bathrooms.

I took a breath and stopped for a minute to reflect and feel grateful for what we (family) have.

Only because I was born in a Country that was more developed and with more opportunities.

India needs to do something to control their population. Too many people, not enough resources. I actually read somewhere that they are educating more women in India about birth control and more women are saying ----NO----to men and refraining from sex and pursuing education to better themselves.

It's working for those women, they are pulling themselves out of poverty. This of course is changing the culture of "Family" but I think it's better to get yourself out of poverty and those awful Conditions in India than to pursue having a big family and being in poverty all your life.

If people stopped having tons of kids, they would do better for themselves. That's my opinion.

• iXav
    iXav

So the latest surge is due to huge gatherings that took place recently. It seems people forget there was a pandemic.

Perspective is key. If you think COVID is bad where you live, move to India, you probably won’t die of COVID there.

@AnonyMous, you made some good point in your post. Statistics alone don't explain the issue with Corvid. Even if there are less deaths due to Corvid when compared to other issues in India, the difference with Corvid19 is that it is more contagious than death due to lack of proper sanitation. When you then add the fear mongering surrounding Corvid, it makes the situation more dire and it is then easier to lose perspective.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Anony Mous,

Very interesting fiqures quoted.

Once again you've confused me though.

You said,

''200 children under 5 die daily from lack of proper sanitation in India.'' Have you got a link /source for that? Did you mean 2,000?

200 children times 365 days is 73,000.

''Sure they may be seeing a bit of a surge but twice the number of kids died yesterday from sanitation problems than any age group died of COVID.''

DW.com article says, ''India has been logging global daily records of over 300,000 cases for the last five days. The country saw 352,991 daily new infections and 2,812 COVID-related deaths in the past 24 hours.

Altogether, 195,123 people have died while 17.3 million people have been infected with the virus in India.

These numbers are staggering, but experts and epidemiological modelers believe that the real number of COVID fatalities could be much higher than the deaths recorded by health departments nationwide. ''

https://www.dw.com/en/india-coronavirus-death-toll/a-57338733

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit