Each and every member of this board reaches more people than they ever did going from D2D , with more effect.

by smiddy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

I was just reflecting about this site and it`s influence on me and what I have got out of it and it came to me that whatever subject I bring up , or others bring up , the obvious thing is we engage in discussion .That`s what it`s all about .

However , the feedback we get or the input we give , far outweighs anything we ever achieved going from D2D for the WTB&TS./ WT real Estate Agency /Publishing House .

How many times did you have a meaningful discussion with a person at a door ?, as a JW ? not many I would think.

The majority of times , they were not home or not opening the door to you , so even if you did meet people they were too busy to talk to you or they just were not interested.

Whereas , here on this board you engage with many people from all over the world , and we can discuss a subject as long as we want.until it runs it`s course.

I think anybody who posts here has had far more satisfaction in their interaction with other people on this board than they ever experienced in the D2D work as a JW.

And I hope that people who just lurk here can see the benefits of open discussion in a forum like this without judgement and recriminations that occur in the JW religion for speaking your mind.

smiddy

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Yes. 1 evening on this boards yields more interaction that a lifetime of FailedCircus. And it's the same on other boards where similar topics are discussed.

Not because the conversation partners are necessarily better equipped or more willing to engage. No, over the years I've met some people in FS who were willing and able to engage in deeper discussions.

What makes the difference then? Me! I was the unwilling, closed minded person who thought conversations (about religious topics) should be like this:

• You tell me what you think/believe
    • I show you you're wrong
    • You either blindly accept my claims and can be saved, or you refute my arguments and I leave you so you can die in Armageddon.

Of course a lifetime of TMS largely contributed to that style of 'conversation'.

There is a danger however: now that I know TTAWBTS and have increased my knowledge on several topics, the fire is burning in me brighter than it ever did before: other people need to hear this! But others might not readily agree....not even after I show them how wrong they are and.....oh wait...that my Inner Jehovah's Witness showing again....need to kill that one some day ;-)

• pbrow
    pbrow

HERE HERE!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I remember one of the first posts I ever put on here (and this was in the days when you could view how many people had clicked on your post) and getting something like 2000 views. I thought this amount of views equated to a circuit assembly, and i didn't even have to get of my seat. This at the time drove home the point to me of just how in effective field service and what a powerful tool the internet was.

P.S Simon I was just thinking if you could please put that feature back on of seeing how many views you got.thanks

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@Joe,

Great point!

There is another general topic forum I participate in.

My answer to the question "Do you remember when you realized your religion is a lie" includes explanation about and links to ARC. This was viewed by 13k people. More than I ever even met in all those years of field service. And most of those are not fellow exJWs who already know that kind of stuff.

Much more effective indeed!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well said sir!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

smiddy - "...the feedback we get or the input we give far outweighs anything we ever achieved going from D2D..."

Damn; that hadn't occurred to me, but yeah, it's true.

smiddy - "...I think anybody who posts here has had far more satisfaction in their interaction with other people on this board than they ever experienced in the D2D work as a JW..."

Even the apologists, I suspect. :smirk:

• Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

Had this board been around when I left, it certainly would have made my escape easier and less stressful. I left before the days of the internet so I did it alone, without any support. That was a lonely, terrifying place, believe me!

If it had been the internet age, with boards like this, I know I would have loved the interaction and support of others. It would have been wonderful to have my concerns about that cult confirmed, instead of thinking it was just me.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Joe123 I second your request. I think it was very helpful to see how many views one receives especially for new one's who have not been able to really communicate with their fellow JW's.

Also important for lurkers as it kind of reinforces the thought that it's fine to join up.

To see that even a hundred people have looked at your post is meaning full. I remember seeing thousands of views on some long multi page posts.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

P.S Simon I was just thinking if you could please put that feature back on of seeing how many views you got.thanks

I realize a lot of those views..

Were repeats of people coming back to read the thread..

How many people in the FS,ever wanted to stay engaged with the conversation?..

Most were happy to never see or hear from you again..LOL!!..

I like seeing the "Views" posted as well..

It shows you how much interest that particular thread actually has..

I`d love to see the "Views" feature brought back..

Image result for thumb up through screen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit