The violent "My book of bible stories" not for kids!

by Witness 007 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    I remember one picture was of a man with a tent peg through the brain.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Agree, totally inappropriate for kids. I know my grandchildren would not be allowed to see it, they are 5 and 2.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    jazzmanica91: The Bible itself is a disgustingly violent book

I've thought about that many times. I remember back when the org counseled against watching violence on TV and in movies and even about watching violence on the news. I was thinking "damn, what about reading the Bible, then? It has a lot of killing including running swords through pregnant women, etc. It has maiming, castrating, mutilating, torturing, gouging out eyes, hamstringing horses, slaughtering animals, etc."

I'm still open to the possibility that there's good reason for it, but, nevertheless, there's a lot of violence.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I could not watch the A-Team on tv but had to read or listen to a bunch of violence at the meetings and publication studies. WTF.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And they will not let people listen to rap music in peace? These pictures are worse than what is depicted in fiction in rap music, and they are depicted as reality to children. Most rap music today has a parental advisory label for swearing and other explicit content. Why doesn't this book have an explicit content label for violence?

And "R" is too soft for that bible. The book is nothing more than advice designed to force humanity into enslavement, and even "X" would be underrating it. Given that the bible is designed to get a few people to be able to force through violence the whole world into submission, a total ban on it is in order. That bible would be "objectionable" for this reason if common sense ruled. It is the reason why we are about to enter communism without a fight--because the bible has trained (and cursed) people to just let themselves be enslaved. And those that do fight are culled off by everyone else, so such fight has no effect and we all get enslaved without them (those who attempt to resist eventually get tortured).

And no, the Quran is no better.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Images of men stabbed and beat to death lying in a pool of blood sends a message to toddlers.

Message: The world is unsafe and unfit to live it. Stay in the organization, or else!.

• ragingmad
    ragingmad

So you're saying that bad things which should be avoided should not be described or even mentioned in the scriptures? A constant complaint from critics and dilettantes is that the bible isn't specific enough.

We are all pure, unadulterated fairies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aotlEpmAFVQ

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

The Bible itself is a disgustingly violent book but Watchtower illustrates this violence in such vivid detail... and then the Branch has the audacity to try to police what people watch on television or what video games they play.

Perhaps a bit off topic, and I may have mentioned this before; Prior to becoming FedUp I was in a serve us car group when the discussion turned to how JW's should avoid violent movies, TV, and books at all costs.

I jumped in to the conversation and recounted how I was reading a book that was full of stories about murder, incest, adultery, drunkenness, burning children alive and so forth. There was much chastisement and counsel about how I should quit reading anything that was that Satanically violent! So I "innocently" asked, "You mean I must quit reading The Bible?"

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

The bible story book demeans women also. In story ,3 dealing with the creation of Adam it's phrased. "Jehovah took dust from the ground and made a PERFECT BODY. A MANS BODY"

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    FedUpJW - "...I 'innocently' asked, 'You mean I must quit reading The Bible?'..."

I imagine their response being somewhat like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVuf2ZdWru4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit