The violent "My book of bible stories" not for kids!

by Witness 007 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I once left a copy with the kids of my return visit. The next time I came she returned it to me saying it was discusting and not something kids should be reading. I was shocked since I learnt to read using this book. I see now how violent and horrible most of the stories were. Do you have a favourite? I remember one picture was of a man with a tent peg through the brain....enjoy kiddies!

• alanv
    alanv

A truly terrible book for kids. My youngest son who is not a JW, but went to meetings for a while, has the book on his bookshelf. I have told his wife about the book and she agrees it definately should not be used on their new son when hes old enough.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Many have felt the the book should have been titled "my book of bible killings"!

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    I see now how violent and horrible most of the stories were.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

You don't question these things when you're raised in it, but wow 😳 it's unbelievable looking back

• jazzmaniac91
    jazzmaniac91

I was just thinking about this the other day. The Bible itself is a disgustingly violent book but Watchtower illustrates this violence in such vivid detail... and then the Branch has the audacity to try to police what people watch on television or what video games they play. I'm surprised more governments don't call them out on it when they claim "political neutrality" and "love for their fellow man" prevents them from serving in the military. "Jehovah hates violence" is what they say while showing nothing BUT violence in their books, videos and songs. The traumatic images work to the cult's advantage by keeping people "in" through fear.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Yup.

There’s more hard-R content in the Bible than Quentin Tarantino’s entire filmography.

And in fact, I’m totally cool with that...

...I’m a huge fan of fantasy, horror, and graphic violence.

😎

Seriously though, I once told my elder Dad that if anyone ever made a real true-to-the-text movie adaptation of the Bible, I could never let my kids watch it.

He was quite taken aback by that thought as it had clearly never occurred to him, but to his credit, he had to concede the truth of it.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

If that were shown in a movie, with the blood pooling and all, I'm pretty sure in the US it would get an automatic R rating.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

So much for “The Prince of Peace!”

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The pink Listening to the Great Teacher was a better book. It talked about things like telling the truth, listening to parents, the Good Samaritan, how to pray, the virtue of hard work, sharing, not being boastful, not stealing, and so on. Plus the audiobook was narrated by Jack Barr. I must have listened to it dozens of times. There are no doubt problems with this book too but overall I have a good memory of listening to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit