How much of the Society's publications just get stored away in the garage?

by donny 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• donny
    donny

Almost a year ago I moved back to the Dallas - Fort Worth area after spending 16 years in the Northern California area. The area I live in has several nearby parks and walkways and these areas have several "Share a book" pods mounted on a pole spaced about 1/2 mile from one another. People are encouraged to add books they no longer use to these pods and to take one if they are interested.

I have been diligent on removing Watchtower publications from them and what has surprised me is how many old publications in pristine condition are added almost on a daily basis. Brand new looking copies of "True Peace and Security - From What Source?" (1973) "Is This Life All There Is?" (1974), "The Truth That Leads to Everlasting Life" (1981) appear in the pods almost as fast as I can remove them.

That makes me wonder how much of the Society's publications are still sitting in people's hoarding areas and have yet to see the light? This is not the only time I have seen this phenomenon so it must mean a lot of that crap fortunatley never made it to its intended victims.

• baker
    baker

We got some new light out of them, when we put some in the fireplace

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I imagine most of the literature placed at the door never gets read. Either they were just taking it to be nice or because it was free or they were interested until the started reading and realized it was written at a third grade level. And that's the books that actually get placed. How much of the literature never makes it that far?

It's sad the waste of money spend generating books and magazine that just end up getting tossed. Good job on taking it out of the pods.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

At one time it was really a big deal to collect a large theocratic library.

Before the bound volumes, people were encouraged to keep copies of every Watchtower and Awake and then they could buy binders for them at the end of the year.

Then the bound volumes came out, sometimes with secretly revised information, and people bought everything all over again. Even as a child, I thought this was stupid and could see blind profiteering as the reason behind it.

Eventually when the WT discovered that people were using their old literature against them, it was encouraged not to be reading old literature that was old light.

But many older JWs still have massive amounts of old literature. When they died, their family members are stuck getting rid of it all.

Maybe putting them in the library pods is an option some are taking, especially if they are conflicted about the value of the books.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Best Guess..

95-97% of all WBT$ Literature is Stored in Private JW Homes..

Never to be Seen by the Outside World..

Nobody wants that Crap..

.....................Image result for no jehovah witnesses

• Listener
    Listener
    Keep up the good wo k of removing those books Donny.
    When did they stop providing the bound volumes?
  • rebel8
    rebel8
    I would love an original Youth book so I can make a collage out of it. For real.
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Who hasn't had stacks of unplaced magazines and felt "guilty" for throwing them out? I took a truck full to the dumps when I finally pulled my head out of my arse. So much stuff! Total crap. I knew witnesses that were like hoarders of the stuff.
  • Po Lazarus
    Po Lazarus

Publications placed and the growth of the organisation are clear metrics that suggest very little is either placed or, when it has been, read.

The days of offering magazines that were past their 'use by' date and given freely were welcome. I could just offer some free material, the house-holder knew an empty promise when they made one, and we all went away happy.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We got some new light out of them, when we put some in the fireplace

With 6 family members, we had LOTS of the old books taking up space. Made for quite an addition to a bonfire one cool, autumn evening. We kinda joked about "what if they won't burn?".

At least it cannot be said that we didn't put them to good use! Never want to be accused of wasting that valuable life-saving literature.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit