Legal Fundraiser to 'sue' individuals JW's (ie. elders) for defamation

by Nathan R. Koppe 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan R. Koppe
    Nathan R. Koppe

Removed

• Listener
    Listener

I know this is being done with the best of intentions but it seems that religions have a great deal of protection through legislation.

There was a guy in Canada who tried suing last year and it was unsuccessful.

I don't know that it is appropriate to ask for money on Simons forum but that is up to him as to whether he would allow it. Did you ask for his permission?

• Simon
    Simon

This is not happening on this forum.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Someone close to me became pregnant out of wedlock, the elders treated her so horribly, she miscarried. She said her family was going to sue, but they chickened out.😞

• Simon
    Simon

Probably because you can't possibly prove that was the cause.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'd say the only kind of suit like that might be if a person is "abused" by a JC of elders, makes it publicly known, perhaps to a professional therapist, and then commits suicide and leaves a note blaming it on the abuse.

I think a panel of jurors could be swayed by a good attorney.

• Simon
    Simon
    I'd say the only kind of suit like that might be if a person is "abused" by a JC of elders, makes it publicly known, perhaps to a professional therapist, and then commits suicide and leaves a note blaming it on the abuse.

But such a person would obviously be not of sound mind. How do we know? Because they killed themselves - that's not what rational people do.

See how easy it is to dismantle the "WTS ruined my life, everything is their fault" thinking? Because it's rarely true - the people to blame for your life are usually your parents and yourself. Everything else is an influence at best. Unless the WTS has committed specific crimes, which only applies to a tiny minority of people, the desire to blame the WTS is usually more a symptom of lack of personal accountability - exactly the kind of thing that causes people to have shitty lives.

People would do better if they stopped identifying as victims. Man up, own your life, live it, stop trying to be miserable so you can blame someone else for it!

• Simon
    Simon

Seriously? You think something being removed means you can just repost it? I deleted your post Nathan and if you repost it again, I'll delete you.

I read the GoFund me page and all I saw was vague hand-waving, nothing specific about what the funds are actually for. If I was cynical, I'd say you were just trying to scam people and take their money.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Simon -- YOU cynical? (Couldn't have to do with being scammed by JWs for decades, could it?)

• newsheep
    newsheep

When Grace (Mouthy) was alive and on here she had someone try to ask her for money. She would give whatever she could give even though she had nothing. There should be no asking for money here as far as I am concerned. Some here are in a vulnerable state as it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit