My 89 year old father will be standing by a cart tomorrow.

by longgone 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• ambersun
    ambersun

I feel very heartened by the sensible, considerate comments here. My mother is 90 and up until the last few years her life has consisted of going to meetings and out in field service. She is entirely disabled now which is awful for someone as dedicated and active as she has always been. When I hear that she has managed to physically get to a meeting (a very rare occurrence these days) I always praise her and tell her how thrilled I am for her. There are times when, out of compassion and kindness, we should keep our personal feelings to ourselves.

My advice would be to wish your dad well and praise him for his achievement. It will mean a lot to him, and in years to come when you look back on your memories, you will be so glad you did this

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Love is about thinking about how the other person feels and not hurting them unnecessarily.

Praising for the cart sitting is a good thing for someone so very old. The time for waking up is gone.The time to show unconditional love is always there. Measured responses to make sure you make him feel respected and loved, is the best thing you can do.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

To be honest for the health and safety of a 89 year old. I think it's fantastic. His chances of slipping and tripping on stairs are a lot less. It's easy he just sits there with a coffe chatting to his partner.

I agree joe134cd. I'd rather see old folks sit in a park with a cart and go from door to door where they can risk falling and hurting themselves.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

He has no idea what's really going on with the organization. I feel bad about that of course. I don't like that they have convinced him that sitting out in the hot sun for no reason is time well spent when he could be out fishing or something fun which I'm sure he would prefer. I just needed to vent a little. Thanks for listening.

Yes, the cult has no shame, that's what makes it a cult. This is the case with many people, especially the elderly. Many congregations celebrate having them on display like that. Sometimes they showcase their "experience" or have them noted in one way or another.

My 80-something father is in the exact same place.

• Ding
    Ding

Sad, but that's what he wants to do... enduring to the end...

• longgone
    longgone

I really appreciate your kind words! They help me see there is some good in the situation after all. He is much safer this way than walking around door to door, and will chat happily with whoever he's with and enjoy that. I'll do as suggested and commend him for his efforts to show my respect for him. I love him dearly, and he has many friends and family members who do as well. I'm lucky to have such a man as my father. Thank you for your support. 💙

• blondie
    blondie

Sounds good longgone.

• dogon
    dogon

I remember when Carl Kunde died at an assembly in Pontiac. It was notoriously hot at the old Silver dome. My partner his son only a few years before said that when some old people fainted due to the heat that no one made them stay.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My 89 year old father will be standing by a cart tomorrow.

Meh..

It gives him WBT$/JW Street Cred..

He can stand by his WBT$ Literature Cart and flash JW Gang Hand Signs..

At other JW`s across the street with their WBT$ Literature Carts..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit