1914- responsible for the biggest decrease in JW's?

by joey jojo 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Blondie, I think the JW got the idea (whether directly or indirectly) from some of Russell's literature. That is because I think I read in Russell's literature that the term "day and the hour" doesn't mean that Christians couldn't learn the year (and the season and the month). I think that Russell might have also written that while Jesus and others didn't know the time (or even the year) when Jesus spoke the words in the 1st century AD/B.C.E, people in Russell's day could learn it because Jehovah provided inspiration/insight then.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

joey jojo

''Its obvious the org is changing the goalposts and constantly trying to squeeze as much time as they can before they have to abandon this altogether. Or will they come up with something new?

Does anyone else think this ever changing doctrine is responsible for the biggest loss of members?''

Sorry I haven't responded earlier. But, no need to worry. The WT Society is it's own worst enemy.

• blondie
    blondie

Disillusioned "

• I think the JW got the idea (whether directly or indirectly) from some of Russell's literature. That is because I think I read in Russell's literature that the term "day and the hour" doesn't mean that Christians couldn't learn the year (and the season and the month). I think that Russell might have also written that while Jesus and others didn't know the time (or even the year) when Jesus spoke the words in the 1st century AD/B.C.E, people in Russell's day could learn it because Jehovah provided inspiration/insight then." Well, the end didn't come in 1914 or even by 1916 when Russell died. Rutherford had to rewrite the past and issue books that made it say that 1914 was only the beginning not the end. Matthew 24:44 never said a day or hour was an issue. NIV "So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." Notice it says "hour." Here it is said Jesus was talking about a thief, even thieves don't give you the day and hour they coming. Russell and many dates he used that were later amended when those events did not happen. 1878--"Based on the premise that events of the first century might find parallels in related events later, they also concluded that if Jesus’ baptism and anointing in the autumn of 29 C.E. paralleled the beginning of an invisible presence in 1874, then his riding into Jerusalem as King in the spring of 33 C.E. would point to the spring of 1878 as the time when he would assume his power as heavenly King." Proclaimers book, moved from 1878 to 1914.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit