Appealing a DF decision

by HereIgo 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I always found it interesting that one could appeal a disfellowshipping....if Jehovah doesn't make mistakes, then there wouldnt be a need to "appeal" anything to begin with right?

• sir82
    sir82

The appeal works far less than 1% of the time anyway. Elders tend to "have each others' backs".

Overturning a DF on appeal raises the exact issue you describe, and the elders won't do anything to jeopardize confidence in the system except for the most extreme situations, where it is painfully obvious that, say, someone had a personal vendetta or the elder book rules were egregiously broken.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

It has been my experience and, also based on what I've heard, that appeals are easy to get but they always rubber stamp the original judgment.

• Chook
    Chook

Any court that allows an appeal yet won't allow a recording is called a kangaroo court. If Ray Franz and his well written appeal failed what hope has a teenager got.

• fulano
    fulano

@sir82 and Village idiot. ....you are wrong in this case, I have been for many years on AC's and many of the cases the dfs were rejected. Makes sense because you must be pretty convinced to be treated wrong before you take the step to appeal.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I think that the policy of appealing may be some kind of legal thing to cover their butts.

One of my sisters got Dfed and she wanted to appeal because she was interested in maintaining some sort of relationship with our family. I don't think that's the case now, though.

I illustrated to her what being disfellowhipped means to me by showing her an episode of the Golden girls where one of them got kicked out of an unauthorized "Hunk-a Hunk-a Burnin' Love" Elvis Presley fan club, after making fun of them worshiping a partially eaten pork chop that Elvis Presley ate. They were admiring his teeth marks.

She said, sarcastically "I've just been thrown out of an unauthorized Elvis fan club. I'll try to pick up the pieces and go on with my life. There must be a support group for people like me." That's how I feel. The WT organization to me makes as much sense as a group that worships a partially eaten pork chop. Getting kicked out of it is a batch of honor to me. I want to be rejected by them.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Something that most JWs dont know is that if you Appeal your DFing and they uphold it - you can then Appeal to the Branch.

• jeanniebeanzz
    jeanniebeanzz

don't bother... it won't help... in fact it would make them see a 'spirit of unrepentence' and work against you. pfffttt... seriously, there is so much life outside of that narrow-minded little cult of neanderthals. walk away with your head held high and live your life. there is so much joy to be had once the veil is lifted and the chains are shattered. :)

• steve2
    steve2

In all my long years, I have never ever heard of an appeal over a disfellowshipping ever being successful. Never.

Anyone else ever heard of a successful appeal?

• millie210
    millie210

I have heard that an appeal committees purpose is to make sure all the procedures were followed according to the Orgs guidelines.

It is not a second opinion or a re-trial.

So if something was handled wrong procedurally, there can be a reversal.

Im sure there are many elders/former elders here who can tell us the real deal on this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit