Being Bad in the Kingdom Hall

by Funchback 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Funchback
    Funchback

What things did (do) you or someone you know do in the Kingdom Hall that was a no-no?

• I remember in the 80s when, during the meeting, three friends and I were breakdancing in the foyer. 3 out of 4 us are happily out of that organization.
    • As I was trudging through my fade and attending meetings, I sometimes dwelled on how much time and money I wasted during my years as a JW. Anyway, no one knew of my doubts and sometimes I would work as an attendant in the reception area of the hall. I would often see money stuck in the donation box slot and I used a paper clip to remove them and keep them for myself. It was either for the fat cats in Brooklyn, or for myself. I chose me. I did it a few times, but it pales in comparison to how much money I had donated, in vain, over the years.
    • A mentally challenged guy (he wasn't retarded, but he wasn't normal. He could only make incoherent sounds). His mom was raising him and his father was a pilot who abandoned them. He was caught masturbating in the bathroom during the meeting.

Do any of you have strange happenings in the Hall during meetings?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I have a bad knee so sitting for long periods in the meetings didn't work so well so I often would go stand by the literature counter in the back. Once I woke up, I did this a lot more often so I could play on my phone or browse the forums. After a while of staring at all those magazines just sitting there, the temptation got to me and I started taking magazines and throwing them away in the bathroom or tearing them up and flushing them. At my peak I think I trashed about 60-100 magazines in a month.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I always found it disturbing when an elder who was about 2 years older than me would take his daughter to the toilet from a very young age until I quit when she must have been about 7 years old.

WTF? Why wasnt the mother taking her? I just never could understand this stupid arrangement. It just creeped me out.

• blondie
    blondie

I think I mentioned this some years ago.

When I was a regular pioneer, my roommate and I were asked to give a demo of that month's offer. As we finished, I noticed no one was on the stage but us and no MS was jumping up to get the hand mike as we stood there for some brother to step forward. After 2 minutes (I guess only approved brothers could put the mike in the stand) but I just walked over and did it and got off the stage. Instead of asking where the assigned sound MS was or the brother handling the part were, they chastised me. I said there was nothing in the bible that said I couldn't put the mike back in the stand and walked away.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Sisters who touch the microphone unauthorized must be presumptuous and haughty. They do not know their place in Kingdom Haul arrangements. Seriously, that's the most cultish, ridiculous thing ever. What were you supposed to do, wait like deer in the headlights for an approved brother to finally come? You saw a common sense solution and handled an awkward moment with grace, shame on you.

• burnedout
    burnedout

Operating the sound system and playing an Eagles tape in my headphones. It was a thrill knowing that all I had to do was turn one knob and everyone at the meeting would hear.

• freemamaof3
    freemamaof3

A couple kids i knew got caught having sex in the elders secret file cabinet closet on outside memorial clean up day lol

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

There was this 8 year old pale kid with dark hair sitting in front of me one Sunday. He was bored and kept asking his (crabby) mother if he could go to the bathroom and finally she relented. After an long period of time had passed, the mother began wondering what was taking him so long to return and kept whipping her head around giving annoyed glances toward the back of the Hall.

Finally she got up and stormed to the back to find him. Moments later there was a commotion as she dragged her sniveling son down the aisle and slammed him into his seat.

Seconds later everyone realized chunks of his hair were gone and there were bare patches of white skin all over his head. Apparently he found a pair of scissors in the bathroom drawer and chopped his hair off. It was difficult to know whether to laugh or to feel pity for a kid who was so bored during the meeting that chopping his hair off to the scalp in the bathroom seemed like a good idea and was preferable to returning to his seat.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

I'm not sure if this qualifies... People who used to mark tons of seats with watchtowers at assemblies used to make me see red. Especially since there were announcements saying to only mark seats for the people in your car group.

I'd see like ten or more seats all with WTs draped on them. Fuck, that still pisses me off just thinking about it. Well, I'd look around to make sure nobody was watching, then I'd remove all of them. Soon new arrivals would claim the seats. It was fun to see the original seat saver come back and find all the seats he marked with other people in them, camped out. He'd be like "Hey! These seats are mine! What is going on here?" and I'd be like "Well, they weren't marked a few minutes ago when we got here...I saw the attendants removing WT's over there though. Looks like you'll need to go find somewhere else to sit, because I'm here now".

I only did it out of a sense of justice toward those poor elderly ones and for the young families with small kids in mind. Plus, how many times had I not been able to find a decent seat because some asshole marked them all up? Plenty. So I guess part of it was for revenge. Yeah, I had to lie a little, but it didn't bother my conscience. I felt like I was doing the right thing.

TB-

• sparky1
    sparky1

"But when she came to the end of her demonstration, Blondie thrust out her hand to return the sacred microphone to it's stand, for she would not wait for an appointed male servant of Jehovah to aid her. At that, Jehovah's anger blazed against Blondie and struck her down right there on the stage in front of the whole congregation for her irreverent act." 2 Samuel 6:6-7 N.W.T. Revised 2013, reinterpreted by me to fit the current circumstances (much like the Governing Body does with anything they pull from the Bible)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit