False reasoning behind some of the WT rules?

by nevaagain 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Virgochik
    Virgochik
    It irks me when they trash talk the government, yet I recently met an older couple who lived in free housing with free utilities, had handicapped license plates and got SSI benefits. They don't ever trash talk "them" benefits.
  • TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Stella asked about the 144k. Another thing that has false reasoning that ONLY 144K go to heaven when the bible specifically states that the number of those in heaven was too great a number to count.

12k from each of the 12 Hebrew tribes are listed as VIRGIN, JEWISH, MALES who follow Jesus where ever he goes.

False reasoning if you ask me or any other person who has read that in the bible.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Their reasoning on why John 6:53, 54 has nothing to do with the Lord's Evening Meal:

*** rs p. 268 pars. 2-3 Memorial (Lord’s Evening Meal) ***
    John 6:53, 54: “Jesus said to them: ‘Most truly I say to you, Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I shall resurrect him at the last day.’”
    This eating and drinking would obviously have to be done figuratively; otherwise the one doing it would be violating God’s law. (Gen. 9:4; Acts 15:28, 29) However, it should be noted that Jesus’ statement at John 6:53, 54 was not made in connection with the inauguration of the Lord’s Evening Meal. None who heard him had any idea of a celebration with bread and wine used to represent Christ’s flesh and blood. That arrangement was not introduced until about a year later, and the apostle John’s report about the Lord’s Evening Meal does not begin until more than seven chapters later on (in John 14) in the Gospel bearing his name. (Bolding and underlining is Bobcat's)

So why don't they apply that same reasoning in regard to Acts 15:29?

(Acts 15:29 nwt) . . .to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”
    Who back then would have thought this applied to transfusing?Bobcat
  • Perry
    Perry
    Do they consider the apostles part of the 144,000 or is it 144,000 plus the people in the bible?

They consider the apostles and ALL (true) Christians since them to be included in the 144K. until around 1919.

That's too many you say? Well, I guess they weren't really "true" Christians were they? (wink, wink)

It's hard for me to accept that I used to believe this stuff. 70 Million Christians have been martyred for their faith since the time of Christ. 

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Another example of false reasoning is their promotion of the torture stake over a cross. Reasoning is that stratus [sorry for spelling] means only an upright stake in Classical Greek. The false reasoning comes from the fact that the new testament is NOT written in classical Greek. Classical Greek had not been spoken since centuries before the birth of Christ. Koine' Greek is the Greek of the new testament and it COULD mean a stake AND it could mean a stake with a cross beam.

To put it in today's terms, imagine having an English dictionary and translating someone being 'pissed'.

Being 'pissed' in the UK is very different from being pissed in the US.

Are they ignorant or do they think everyone else is? That's my question

Koiné (New Testament) Greek

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Theocratic warfare is most definitely defined through false reasoning. Scriptural support for this is presented as 'don't throw pearls before the swine' and something in the old testament about the king being lied to about Sarah being the sister instead of the wife.

First, it is true and worth acknowledging that the WTS lies to their own flock as a matter of general day to day operation. So in that way, the WTS states that their whole cong are swine. Is that a stretch to any?

The 2nd example of lyin to the king was so bad, that even the evil king says 'why are you so evil' or 'why have you done such evil?' Certainly, the story does NOT promote lying

And of course there are numerous places in the bible where God says he HATES a lying tongue and the act of lying.

Nothing like lying for the truth

• Robo Bobo
    Robo Bobo
    Some view it as a sin to miss the memorial, because being there to touch the emblems affirms your gratitude for the ransom...
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

nevaagain - "What are some false reasonings behind some of the WT rules?"

Honestly, dude, I don't think we have that kind of time. :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit