WT 1/2017: "Why is the Bible sometimes misunderstood?"

by Schnufti 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Schnufti
    Schnufti

The Bible is designed to be understood by those who are humble and willing to learn. Jesus said to his Father: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have carefully hidden these things from wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children.” (Luke 10:21) The Bible is written in such a way that only those with the right attitude would understand its message. People with a proud attitude—a common trait of “wise and intellectual ones”—tend to misunderstand the Bible. But people who read the Bible with the attitude of “young children”—humble and eager to learn—are rewarded with a better understanding of God’s message. How skillfully God has designed the Bible!

Am I wrong or didn't Jesus mean in Luke 10:21 that "these things are hidden from wise and intellectual ones" because his message was easy to understand?

If the Bible is written so that only those with the right attitude would understand its message - why does there even have to be a Bible? In that case, the ones with the right attitude needn't read the Bible because they are already saved. And all the others don't have a chance!

If a placebo helps you with your headache, it doesn't mean the placebo was effective. It helped just because you believe in it. You see what you believe.

What would you say to JWs as an answer to the claims in that article?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Bible is designed to be understood by those who are humble and willing to learn.

So the commercialized false prophets who owned and operated their own publishing house namely the Watchtower Corporation, was not humble and willing to learn, they interpreted the bible strategically to sell and proliferate their own publications, they were not honest or willing to adhere to the bible's teaching particularly concerning preaching the Gospel of Jesus.

• Schnufti
    Schnufti

Ah, one more thing.

If it was true that the ones that don't understand the Bible are proud: Do they even have the chance to "change their heart" into not being proud?

If yes: So they didn't need the Bible to better them, right? Because as they are proud they can't understand the Bible anyway.

If not: Is that fair?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

The same that I say to everything else they claim: useless nonsense.

As for the bible, I agree that the entire concept of having a bible is nonsense too, especially considering when and how it was compiled.

Not only the bible is an old, obsolete and useless book, but there are many people like me who don't need a book to know to be a decent human being.

• Wayward
    Wayward

Yes, the Bible really IS easy to understand. Its genocidal, homicidal, woman-hating, kill your neighbors if they have a different religion from you and steal their land message is pretty plain.

• Divergent
    Divergent

If it is easier to misunderstand the bible RATHER than understand it, then something is terribly wrong with it!

• jeanniebeanzz
    jeanniebeanzz

Wait, so the bible was written to attract morons?... dude... it all makes sense now.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

That's why the WT is against higher eduction, I get it now.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I'd ask: "Give me an example of what I don't understand in the bible."

- They would likely go on about the trinity, hell fire, the earthly/heavenly hope or some other theological things.

Why would being proud prevent them to understand these truth? What does it mean to be proud?

Or let me ask you this: Would a humble person knock on his neighbors doors and tell them: Unless you understand the bible exactly, precisely as I do, than you are too proud to be a true christen? Shouldn't there be some leeway? Don't you see the irony?

Just consider for a second that salvation is much simpler than what you think. What does God wants in the end? To get rid of bad people and keep good people. So, what does it mean to be good? For instance, Would God kill a hard working widow, mother of two, simply because she turns you down at her door step and keeps believing in Hell, Heaven and the Trinity? Could it be that your are too proud to admit that you do not have monopoly on what is good and evil? That people can be saved by their love? Not knowledge? Jesus came to free the people from the heavy load of their religious leaders. And yet, here you are, telling people that they will die unless they join you.

This is the fact you must face: unable to see the simplicity of the teachings of the Christ, you are like that Pharisee, praying on the corner of the street, thanking God loudly that you are not like one of these sinners.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

By this (their own) logic, every time the Governing Body makes an adjustment or there is "New Light", It means that they themselves were guilty of having a proud and haughty attitude at some point and the truth wasn't revealed to them for decades.

Despite this, their haughty attitude compelled them to print millions of copies of their misinterpretations and insist that their trusting followers use their own time and funds to blanket the globe with their literature. This literature more often than not, condemned anyone who didn't believe them, to a fiery death at Armageddon.

Later when adjustments were made, they still were too haughty to admit they were wrong and apologize to those who had been mislead by their false interpretations, so to this day, they still aren't able to truly understand the Bible.

How skillfully God has designed the Bible!

Q. If they truly believe this is so, why have they found it so necessary to explain the Bible via their literature for these past 100 years?

A. Because it's big business.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit