Ph.D Dissertation on Hayden Covington

by VM44 10 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

HAYDEN COVINGTON, THE JEHOVAH\'S WITNESS AND THEIR PLAN TO EXPAND FIRST AMENDMENT FREEDOMS

JENNIFER HENDRSON, Ph.D
    UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON, 2002

ADVISOR: DON R. PEMBER

FIRST AMENDMENT. LEGAL HISTORY. JEHOVAH\'S WITNESSES.

Hayden Cooper Covington and his plan to bring Jehovah\'s Witness issues before the Supreme Court are unique in the history of First Amendment law in the United States. The Jehovah\'s Witnesses were the first to apply a far-reaching plan of what has been termed \"vigilant\" or \"disciplined\" litigation to First Amendment issues. In a period of 15 years, Watchtower lawyers had won Witnesses the right to distribute literature door-to-door, on public streets and on street owned by private corporations and the federal government; the right to carry out these activities without first securing a permit or paying a tax; the right to use sound-amplifying equipment to spread their beliefs; and the right to be protected from continued arrest under unconstitutional ordinances. By implementing an extensive, detailed legal plan to overturn ordinances that interfered with their evangelical mission, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society broadened protection under the First Amendment for their members and for all Americans. The overwhelming success of the plan shaped masss media law, the application of the First Amendment, and group litigation in the United States.

I just found this when I was searching the net for info about Watchtower lawyers. Looks interesting.

--VM44

• Mary
    Mary

Isn't it ironic how the GB will use their country and Satan's Tool Time to further the Kingdumb interest, yet at the same time, refuse to show any respect for their country by standing for the national anthem, and continuously write in the Botchtubber, how evil these things are and how they will all be destroyed at Ar-ma-gettin which is "right around the corner"?

• rocketman
    rocketman

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society broadened protection under the First Amendment for their members and for all Americans.

As has been pointed out here before, they've done the above, sure, but don't speak your mind in the congregation. There, there is no First Amendment.

• Francois
    Francois

Rocketman makes a cogent point. The society will go to any length to ensure the blessings of liberty and the bounty of the Bill of Rights for itself as a group, but denies these rights to its membership as individuals, where it really counts.

It's ironic that the Bill of Rights, designed to protect the individual citizen from his government; is impotent to protect that same individual citizen from his religion.

This insane situation cannot forever last.

francois

• VM44
    VM44

Everything revolves around what benifits the Watchtower, individuals do not matter.

College education is bad, to be discouraged, unless the Watchtower needs lawyers, then college/law school is OK.

First Amendment rights are fought for when it comes to Watchtower sanctioned activities, but these same rights to not apply to individuals within the WT Society.

The Watchtower is selfish!

--VM44

• Loris
    Loris

Ah freedom. The Bill of Rights is a wonderful thing unless you try to practice its provisions within the congregation of J-dubdom.

I was told by my PO that if I spoke to one more person about the child abuse issue or the UN fiasco they would have to take judicial action against me. I said, "So much for Freedom of Speech." He got a blank look on his face and mumbled something about protecting the congregation.

what do they think? That we are so confused and dim witted that we will not notice that they have replaced it with the Bill of No Rights?

Yeh.

Loris

• VM44
    VM44

Bringint this thread back because someone just asked about info concerning Covington.

• Scott77
    Scott77

That 'someone' was me but I would have prefered to continue the discussion under one thread for better grasp. Too many threads under the same topic IMHO, can creat a repeatition.

Thanks you

Scott77

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I wanted to write my senior thesis in political science concerning Covington. There seemed to be no way to track him down at the time. I wanted anecdotal tales and comments on how he formed legal strategy. My decision to not proceed was motivated by two concerns. First, I knew it would inflame my passions. In New Testament class, I studiously avoided writing papers on topics that were "hot" for Witnesses. I could not be objective and my grade would suffer. Second, I doubted I would find candor.

I am looking forward to assessing this dissertation. Personally, I don't understand how someone who can be a mediocre lawyer or better can learn skills to ask hard questions of statutes, cases, and regulations and still be a zombie. I wonder if they have a wider latitude in their thought process. One thought is that they must certainly enlighten class discussion in law school.

My usual vent concerning Society lawyers. Why was I assigned to bag groceries or clean toilets while someone else is groomed. If one leaves the truth, one person is left with so much richer assets and skills than the other. Jesus was educated for his time period. He manifestly was not poor. A carpenter was solidly upper middle-class. He had the funds to traipse around Israel.

• Scott77
    Scott77

I am looking forward to assessing this dissertation. Personally, I don't understand how someone who can be a mediocre lawyer or better can learn skills to ask hard questions of statutes, cases, and regulations and still be a zombie. I wonder if they have a wider latitude in their thought process. One thought is that they must certainly enlighten class discussion in law school.

Band on the Run

I liked that arguement. This also of O.J attorney John Cochran, an African American man. Some people say he was a genius of sorts. I think, some people are gifted in one way or another.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit