JW (and other religions) excuses for messing up when trying to understand prophesies.

by RubaDub 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

This is not a JW-bashing thing, but it always seemed odd to me that the "excuse" when things go wrong is that "we have to wait and see how the prophesy is fulfilled" or some other wording.

My question has always been, then what is the purpose of the prophesy if you don't understand it until after the fact? Isn't that like having a weather forecast but being told that we don't really know what the weather will be until the next day? Isn't that the purpose of prophesy?

I'm sure some of the intelligent people here can guide me but in all honesty, I never understood that.

• DesirousOfChange
  • Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Rubabud - Like NASA they have to learn lessons. Learning lessons is excuse number 418932 on page 591 of the book Excuses for DubbaDummies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG022FW4SDk

Hair raising eh?

But Jesus did a cracking prophecy here. 100% correct. And - eventually a lot of people understood it!

(Matthew 24:4-5) . . .And in answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads YOU; 5 for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many. . .

But some may still be on catch up with it. Possibly cause they haven't read it properly or cause the haven't read it. Or other.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

DoC ...

Yes, for whatever reason it is back. I know for awhile the "thing" was spinning as I was posting. Not intentional here.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Well, you know Rub, Joe Hoover only gives us what information we need or we "can handle" at any given time. He reveals such things in a timely manner to "his servants the prophets". Proper food at the proper time. Of course, his "servants" are imperfect men an they can make mistakes. (As we well know!)

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

information we need or we "can handle" at any given time

@DoC ...

I really never understood that either. I guess us JW's are too stupid understand things.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Maybe we were just gullible

• under the radar
    under the radar

Back when my PIMI sister would discuss such things with me, we got on the topic of prophecy. She eventually just shrugged her shoulders and said, "Sometimes we can't understand a prophecy until it's fulfilled.

Amazed at the breathtaking incongruity of such a statement, I could only say, "What is the point of a prophecy if you can't understand it until it's fulfilled? Anybody can point to some event afterwards and say, "See! I knew it! I told you so! That's just what I was talking about!""

Just like newspaper horoscopes, if you're vague enough, you can claim to have predicted almost anything.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

"What is the point of a prophecy if you can't understand it until it's fulfilled? Anybody can point to some event afterwards and say, "See! I knew it! I told you so!

@under the radar ...

Exactly my point. If you don't understand it until after it happens, what was the point? Why bother with the mental gymnastics? Give the weather forecast a week later and say, well, we got it right!

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

The WTBTS always does crystal ball predictions ..."it appears that we can expect" (w20 May p.16 pp.13)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit