Lies, and more lies.

by biblexaminer 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

I have seen some discussions related to the "Kingdom" book, and the recent studies, but, I didn't see the one pertaining to the second chapter of the "Kingdom" book. I may have missed it. If I have ...mea culpa.

Chapter 2, paragraph 29 & 33

29 Long before 1914, the Bible Students said that a time of trouble would begin in that marked year. But even they could not have imagined how accurate that prediction would turn out to be.

33 Unfulfilled expectations were another test. Though the Watch Tower had rightly pointed to 1914 as the year when the Gentile Times would end, the brothers did not yet understand what would take place in that year.

Ok. The first point is, when using the actual paper publication, paragraph 29 is on the top left and paragraph 33 is top right. So you can see both points without turning the page. Simultaneously. So there is no excuse.

Par. 29 makes the point that they were "accurate" in their "prediction". So, obviously, 'they knew it all'. Yep. Brilliant people those. So well did these ones knew the future, that they could publicly tell out a "PREDICTION".

(Note that the book says they made a "prediction", something Jehovah's witnesses say they don't do when defending their failed predictions.)

But according to paragraph 33, a few paragraphs later, these oracles 'hadn't a clue' what the hell was going to transpire in1914.

Full text from jw.orgie https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/gods-kingdom/the-kingdom-is-born-in-heaven/

A complete contradiction.

And how a bout a fat lie.

Watchtower magazine July 15, 1894 (226-231) under the heading "CAN IT BE DELAYED UNTIL 1914?"

We see no reason for changing the figures-nor cold we change them if we could. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble. We see no reason for changing from our opinion expressed in the view presented in The Watch Tower of January 15, '92. We advise that it be read again. (italic original)

The Watchtower of January 15, 1892 page 19-21) [1354]

VIEW FROM THE TOWER

The Scriptures give unmistakable testimony... that there is a great time of trouble ahead... anarchy and terror, and prostrate humanity in the very dust of despair... out of that confusion... the new rule of righteousness. All this the Scriptures show us, is to come to pass before the year 1915 ((See MILLENNIAL DAWN, VOL II., CHAPTER IV.)-- that is, within the next 23 years.

...the daily papers and the weeklies and monthlies... continually discussing the prospects of war in Europe. They... predict that war is inevitable.... But notwithstanding these predictions and the good reasons which many see for making them, we do not share them. That is, we do not think that the prospects of a general European war as so marked...

The Watchtower has written so many lies. So very many lies. How could anyone trust them for anything.

• schnell
    schnell
    I mean, the title is a lie.
  • scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

The Watchtower has written so many lies. So very many lies. How could anyone trust them for anything.

What a waste of bytes. You could have just typed that.

• megaboy
    megaboy

I'm wondering back then if this was some kind of set up. How could they assume the end of the time of the gentiles? If it was the end of the gentiles times they wouldn't have authority to be teaching anything period. They're gentiles. How idiotic can you get?

• smiddy
    smiddy

My guess is they would say they are Spiritual Israelites not to be classed as gentiles.The scriptures can be twisted around to say /mean whatever you want it to mean/say.

You cant win with a Bible nutter,who will cherry pick a scripture out of context to validate their point of view.

The biggest lie`s are those told today by the WTB&TS about their past/early history.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

JWs have such a low bar for what passes as proof that these statements make perfect sense to them.

The fact that anything at all happened in 1914 and they had pointed to the year beforehand, is to them astonishing proof of the accuracy of their predictions.

Just like any vague mention of a round earth in the Bible is astonishing proof that the Bible is scientific.

General prophecies about the destruction of various middle eastern cities are astonishing proofs that the Bible is inspired by God.

The fact that Bible writers appear sometimes to write unflattering things about themselves is astonishing proof of superhuman candour.

That you can build a loose narrative holding different parts of the Bible together is astonishing proof that God must be the ultimate author.

Assemblies involving thousands of people where litter is properly disposed is astonishing evidence that JWs are on the brink of forming a new world society.

And so on.

The only astonishing thing about most of the arguments JWs make for their various extraordinary claims is the incredibly low bar for proof they set themselves.

• megaboy
    megaboy

That "Spiritual Isreal" thing was a disaster waiting to happen, did the first century consider Paul a profit? I never got that impression from him, he uses very expressive allegories but he mostly connected old testament concepts to messianic faith. Spiritual Isrealites would be an entirely new concept that was not taught by prophets.

The prophets taught the other nations coming into subjugation of Isrealites, and that their inheritance was basically them being absorbed into Isreal customs under the messiah and not being killed off.

There was a mixed multitude of gentiles that came into Isreal out of egypt (who believed under the old covenant) and they could worship with Isreal in a specific order, so it never was a foriegn concept. There was always a prophetic distinction between Isrealites and gentiles.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

slimboy. I imagine that if WW1 didn't break out in 1914, Jehovah's Witnesses would not exist.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

slimboy. I imagine that if WW1 didn't break out in 1914, Jehovah's Witnesses would not exist.

No, I'm afraid they still would be, because you see they don't really care about examining the evidence. For example, the failed dates (that none of them will acknowledge) that were predicted before 1914 and were declared after the fact (after they passed and nothing happened) to have been Jesus taking the throne invisibly, which is what they now say happened in 1914. If nothing significant had happened that year I imagine they would have simply moved the goalpost again and again until they finally scored and 1914 would just be another date that they pretend never happened.

In fact, the method they use to "prove" 1914 as being predicted in the Bible only works because Russell was off on the destruction of Jerusalem by 20 years.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

JWs have such a low bar for what passes as proof that these statements make perfect sense to them.

Well I predicted there would be a political change in the United States in November 2016. I just wasn't sure if it would be a female, or a male elected. Am I good, or what? I also predict that exactly one year from today, right to the exact minute that somewhere in the United States there will be snow on the ground. I'm just not positive of where, or how much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit