JWs aren't stupid

by cognisonance 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

The title is a bit of click bait. But here's the alternative title: What stupid beliefs/ideas did you have while an active JW.

I think the majority of JWs that don't have obvious mental health issues are not stupid, just un/under-educated. For example, I now accept evolution as a thing, not a controversy or conjecture. I even actively contribute to research papers and publish in peer-reviewed journals.

Nonetheless, about ~8 years ago I recall saying something fallacious like the following about evolution:

"Telling lies is complicated, but the truth is simple. The world has numerous books on evolution, and they are anything but simple. Thus, we know evolution is a lie."

Facepalm.
  • Londo111
    Londo111

I agree. According to the Pew poll, JWs are the least educated among the religions they track.

This is because of undue influence...in particular Information Control.

• oppostate
    oppostate

One stupid belief I had was that I thought the WT hierarchy actually cared and wanted the best for those under their lead. I believed the published PR that the GB is only a group of experienced congregation shepherds who are guided by the Scriptures.

They're guided by their love of unquestioning power and their greed for filthy-lucre.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I may act stupid and talk stupid, but don't let that fool you. I really am stupid.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I think steve hassan has said something about intelligent cult members - they're not necessarily easier to wake up because they can invent more convoluted defenses and rationalizations for the cult beliefs. You can have all the intelligence in the world, but if its goal is to defend the irrational it's not worth anything. Without intellectual honesty, intelligence is useless.

Regarding evolution, my favorite defense (relying on the age old strategy of conflating evolution with abiogenesis) was that scientists hadn't been able to make life in a lab so how much less likely is it to happen randomly? Then, for follow up: Even if scientists could use their intelligence to create life - who made the scientists? Looking back though I was just regurgitating and not really thinking. Luckily I stopped trying to defend the creationist stance at around 14 or 15 and just hoped that it was true in spite of the fact that evolution made so much more sense.

The stupidest belief, though, was my long held stance of rational ignorance. I often thought of investigating the cult, but the indoctrinated belief that all I'd find is angry bitter liars kept me from even taking a moment out to look because it would just be a waste of time. Once I shed the certainty that so-called apostates were 100% wrong and motivated by anger and hatred, it didn't take long to shed the few remaining stupid beliefs I had left at that point.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Jws are dumb as rocks, I should know I was one!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

JWs, as any other group conglomerate, contain all types. They simply have beliefs we do not agree with, or refuse to follow.

Dumb/stupid? It's open to interpretation. They sure can rationalize their beliefs in very crafty ways.

DY

• flipper
    flipper

JW's aren't stupid- just mind controlled. There's a huge difference

• sir82
    sir82

Good Lord, some of them sure are.

But yeah, in general, JWs come in all flavors. There are some extraordinarily brilliant ones that I know.

...but they have this tendency to "turn off" that one little section of the brain that houses "critical thinking".

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Telling lies is complicated, but the truth is simple. The world has numerous books on evolution, and they are anything but simple. Thus, we know evolution is a lie

This is an idea that WT promotes that anything that is the "real truth" will be simple and easy to understand. It will have the "ring of truth" as they say. In reality, the universe and life are complicated with many factors to consider. Most people are too lazy to look at everything and make their own decisions. WT offers a shortcut by appealing to the bible as an authority. Then as people "study the bible" with JWs the authority is passed along to the WT organization and ultimately the GB.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit