Are JW's starting there own college?

by VeniceIT 20 Replies latest jw friends

• sf
    sf

Oh contraire! You said: > "Why my penis makes me smarter than a woman 113" (bwwwaahhhhhhhhh btw)

Scally says: > That belongs at the top of the kourse...it is priority they learn this first and foremost.

Scally (ROFLOL klass)

• larc
    larc

joel,

I didn't say there aren't intelligent members. I said that very few are formally edcucated. Minimun standards are a Master's degree at most community colleges, and minimum standards at most four year colleges is a PhD.

• Kent
    Kent

I posted a newsitem on http://watchtower.observer.org a while ago about The Watchtower starting their own schools. It seems there is something to this - but I don't know how far the plans have gone by now.

Kent

• Monica
    Monica

After reading Larc's comment, the only obvious college educated ones I could think of are the attorneys. Maybe they will start their own law school.

• ISP
    ISP

Colleges? In the UK colleges are for failed students who can't get into universities. They have a high student/teacher ratio and poor pass rates in academic subjects. A law college has been rumoured but the WTS would be better just paying the tuition fees etc. than setting up their own thing.

Schools?
    There are more witnesses kids in the 6-16 age group.
    Here in the UK, there would be very little preventing the JWs starting their own schools, in fact, the government have made things easier. They will fund in part the cost. Many religious denominations have done so.

In practical terms......it is a non starter, IMO. The witness children are still too thin on the ground. Like you could have a school....but that school run would be something! You might be better with a jet or something!

Hey,.......what about the inescapable witness judgementalism? I guess the elders kids would have the best chance of staying in the school, whereas the others would get booted if the parents stopped attending, fell out of favour with the elders, irregular service, etc etc etc.

ISP

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello VeniceIT,

it would be interesting to see any other
    "real" information about this one. After the Educational
    Center in Hawaii...(millions of dollars worth) maybe the next
    one will be built in EUROPE!!!

Btw, FredHall... try to be more polite, logical and in tune with
    the topic when commenting in this forum. Thanks.

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

• hippikon
    hippikon

Just one more step towards total control

"But it does move"
    Galileo

• metatron
    metatron

Well, I'm sure that if they do put together a college,
    total control is their aim ..... but life is filled with
    unintended consequences. In particular, such a move would
    force them to confront a variety of issues - boring
    indoctrination meetings, establishing a clear coherent
    theology .... and being forced to deal with young people.
    Can you imagine a college booting out students for
    fornication? drug use? getting drunk? questioning authority
    or doctrine? smoking? loose conduct (1st,2nd, 3rd base)?
    How 'bout booting out kids for being irregular in field
    service? or missing meetings? The dazed and half senile
    leadership has no idea what Witness kids are really like.
    (like the old joke about Baptists - they raise hell but
    you can't catch 'em at it!).

I hope they do it.
    It would really be funny.

metatron (I propose an award for 1st female student to
    get pregnant on campus)

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I agree with Metatron; I hope they do it. I assume that an accredited college will require some sort of oversight by Federal educational authorities. They'd take a dim view of arbitrary expulsions, I imagine. It's possible that if this is a money making scheme that they'll open their doors to the broader community (let's face it, the children of window washers aren't going to be able to pay much in the way of tuition!). If they do that, then they aren't going to be able to impose doctrine and discipline in a way that suits the management style of the last 80 years or so. You might find a Mexico/Malawi type of dichotomy occurring: one set of rules for kids attending a kingdom hall and another for kids attending the JW college.

• hybridous
    hybridous

A great quote from my grandad...'College(university) isn't great because of what you learn...it's great because it teaches you how to think.'

I really believe that. I'm working my way through a science degree, and the more I learn, the more I see that I don't know squat. I think that it's really true...ignorance IS bliss.

Given that, I would be very surprised to see the WT set up any kind of official college or university. I don't know how many of you have current/everyday contact with JWs, but you you might be surprised to know how many still have a negative view of education (besides the TMS). I just think that it wouldn't go over well with the old-timers (or old-minded).

The WT would be committing suicide by educating the JW youth. Learn to research a topic and evaluate information, and that skill will stay with you, through ALL things you might research. Think the WT wants its members to research its past & former beliefs? I don't.

Anyways, I don't think it will happen, but I would be delighted if it did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit