What is the inside info on "Reasoning From the Scriptures?"

by stillin 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillin
    stillin

I understand why the Witnesses won't actually "reason" from the scriptures; because they will have to come to grips with the fact that others have their own reasons, scripture-based, for believing differently than the JW's.

The "Reasoning" book was supposed to arm the r&f with solid scriptural backing that could withstand most in-depth conversations. So, why is it gathering dust now? Was there some doctrinal issue specifically?

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I think every Christian religion and their followers have their own reasoning for their own doctrines.

Just as Muslim & Jewish sects do. Every one of them has the sole truth about their religion.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Hi Stillin - I am putting together a YouTube on p 341 of the Reasoning book - it's to do with the words 'coming' and 'prescence'. I did a stand in talk in 2005 and realised I had never been taught anything about what was on p 341. I also noticed it contradicted what was in Appendix 5B of the NWT.

I pointed out the problem to the elders and got thoroughly told off and intimidated. I was shocked.

So I wrote to GB who passed it back to the elders who were not in a position to change doctrine even if they agreed I was right. So I ended up with one elder privately admitting to me that 50% of what he said from the platform was rubbish.

When I informed some elders of this statement a few weeks ago, one of them ingeniously said, "oh he was probably only joking."

No he wasn't.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It was just a published reference book put out by the WTS .

The reason why JWS cant reason completely without a controlled biased of what the Scriptures really say is because the WTS has control over that, supporting their own internal interpretations.

The WTS did point out some weaknesses of other Christian faiths and their practices but at the same time created their own weak or false doctrines , ie 1914 " This Generation " etc.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    The Reasoning book was simply a remake of the Make Sure book which we used when I was growing up. I don’t know if the Reasoning book is available in print anymore. If not, most likely any functionality it might have had is supplanted by stuff on the jw org website.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If it has fallen out of use, it only reflects the dumbed down nature of the ministry these days. It was intended as amunition for a Bible discussion and reasoning wuth a h/h.. Sadly , today that seems to be lacking from current JW activities

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

We don't use that anymore because Jehovah's Witnesses don't debate.

(We don't debate. = We wouldn't be able to defend this bullshit if our lives depended on it.)

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

The reasoning book doesn't work anymore because of people like me, internet babies. We were born with the internet already intact. So from age six we were already looking up WT information.Worldly people my age also have access to WT data and all its dirty secrets.

So how do current JWs use the reasoning book to counter all the child abuse in Australia, the changing blood doctrine, 1914, 607, and all the other crazy doctrines----------You can't.

Reasoning book------Totally obsolete!!!!

• blondie
    blondie

As late as 2016 the WTS referred people to the Reasoning book in the What Does the Bible Really Teach publication. The WTS much think it is the most current publication for that type of research.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005154?q=reasoning+from+scriptures&p=sen

For a more detailed discussion of the cross, see pages 89-93 of the book ReasoningFrom the Scriptures, published by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Stillin-The "Reasoning" book was supposed to arm the r&f with solid scriptural backing that could withstand most in-depth conversations. So, why is it gathering dust now? Was there some doctrinal issue specifically?

It gathers dust because everytime a new governing body takes over, they apply 'new light' based on their own erroneous biblical interpretations.

Hence, no new light, only someone playing with the light switch

TTWSYF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit