Things I found when my mom died...very interesting

by PurpleV 17 Replies latest jw friends

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

Thanks to all for replying to my first NEWBIE post.
    I am here because Scally asked me to repeat a post I made on Tishie's board here, because you guys might be interested in talking about them. (I also think I will stay here, cause you guys sound cool.)

My mom died in April, a lifelong JW. When I was going through some old things of hers, I came across some interesting stuff from the 1940's. I am pasting the entire contents of my post from the other board, keep in mind some of it is "tongue-in-cheek" because I've been posting there a while and am comfortable enough to kid around and tease. Here it is.

"Going through some of my mom's things, came across some stuff to torture you guys with.

What I got??? Heh heh BACK CALL SLIPS from the 1940's. Yes, you heard me gang!

This slip, dated 2-20-44, was filled out by my mother (TYPEWRITTEN filled out no less)

With the person's name, address, and Territory number (how many of you have I got cringing by now? Bwaa ha ha!)

Then there is a box for whether they subscribe to Watchtower mag or Consolation (zing!).

The best? There is a line that says
    "Language (or Colored)___________________"

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Then I found a mess of my mother's "Publishers Field Service Reports". My mother averaged 2 hours a month in 1941
    (LOL). On the bottom it says, "Quota of 60 hours for company publishers can be attained by diligence and regularity in
    the service."

WARNING: The rest of this post not recommended for people with weak stomachs.

Then I found a love note from my father to my mother when they were engaged in the 40's also. He wrote to her from
    home because she went to the convention in Buffalo with her family and he didn't go because he had the "grippe"
    (yeah right, Dad!! LOL)

After the I miss you so much sweetheart stuff, he writes:
    "I don't want you to feel bad but I'm sorry I didn't go to the convention. I know that this present dying wicked world has
    not one thing to offer only death. I wish I was assembled with all the Lord's people what joy what peace of mind. I hope
    that this convention will result in a tremendous proclamation of Jehovah's name!" Then he started to talk about the dog
    and his car LOL.

How many quivering lumps of jelly have I got out there now???

Hugs to all, and have a nice day!!!!!
    V

• COMF
    COMF

Your dad's words, written 60 years ago, remove the veil of time and let us see a moment of real life back then. He was a young man drowning in doctrine, struggling with sexual desire in a repressive atmosphere. The snapshot could have been taken yesterday.

Thanks for sharing!

COMF

• Jang
    Jang

Thanks for sharing that here PurpleV ..... It is good for us to see what it was like yesterday.

Just think, back then he could stay home with his grippe and not be marked for it ..... nowadays if you mistt the assmblies you are definitely spiritually weak and can find yourself having to answer 'why?'.

Keep those things .... put them in a memento book. The Watchtower slips are memorabelia and will be worth money for your grandchildren ......

Good to see you here .....

JanG

• teejay
    teejay

PurpleV,

I only go back to the 60s, but I remember the BACK CALL
    SLIPS and other things you mentioned. Brings back memories!

The letter to you mom from your dad indicated that she went
    to the convention with her folks. That makes you at least a
    third generation JW - an interesting thought.

We could make a guess, but your father's "love note" is impossible
    to decipher since we don't know him personally and therefore
    could not possibly understand how serious he was about 'the truth'
    back then or since. You don't mention anything else about him
    (whether he was a JW or is still alive, etc.).

You have found a treasure trove of mementos that offer glimpses
    into the lives of your parents from over half a century. If it were
    me, I'd consider them priceless.

Thanks for sharing. And welcome to the board.

peace,
    todd

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

PurpleV,

Is there anyway we could get a scan of that back-call slip. It's an historical item and should be preserved, along with the old "Who Will Conquer the World in the 1970's?" assembly badges, etc.

Rational

• teejay
    teejay

welcome to the board, RW!!

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

V, I found similar things when going through my mother's effects after she died. The thing that really angered me, however, was a letter from Brooklyn thanking her for the "loan" she made to the Society sometime in the 60's. They would always tell individual JWs that they should have legal papers drawn even for loans made to "brothers". However, this letter said almost nothing as far as legal loan terms were concerned. No amount was mentioned, no term for the loan, no interest rate....nothing. Just a "thank you for the loan", thereby making it almost impossible to figure out how to collect it or what to collect for the estate. I guess they planned it that way.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day PurpleV,

Thanks for shariing - ditto to COMF, that was a precious snapshot of past present and future JW mentality.

The end is nigh! (sexually speaking ;)

unclebruce

PS: Welcome, any friend of scallys is OK with me.

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

RedHorseWoman:

Couldn't you write the WTS saying you have their letter acknowledging your mother's loan and would like to have a statement showing the interest it has earned and the full amount repaid to close your mother's estate?...something to that effect. I'm sure our legal minds here could tell you if that would work and how to word it.

-To me, just because you don't have a "contract", are they going to deny their acknowledgement of the loan in their letter?
    -Have they paid it back? If so, have them send you a copy of their cancelled cheque.
    -If it has not been paid back, are they going to deny the loan or their obligation to pay it back and risk your going public with their refusal to honour their debts?

Does any of this sound possible?

Had Enough

• Prisca
    Prisca

HadEnough - I think you're on to something there!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit