Why some will never leave the org.

by JH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

We all had the same teachings when we joined the JW's. We all studied the same books and magazines and all came to the same conclusion that this had to be God's organization. We were told how God would establish a new world where we would all be healthy and eternal. So in a way, who would want to leave the organization and not benefit from these wonderful conditions just around the corner.

So in a way, many people are staying in the organization because they think the new world is just around the corner.

Some witnesses will discover that there are injustices in the organization and that things are not like they imagined it was at first when they joined. Some will see the errors in the JW bible and magazines. Many poeple leave when they discover the lack of love and when they find out the truth about this organization.

But on the other hand, some will never leave, even if they see that things are wrong. I think that some will never leave because they don't want to give up on the promise they had from the start that the new world was just around the corner and that soon their health problems will all be gone. They still dream of having a home and health and eternity just like was taught in the beggining when they joined. No scandal will ever be big enough for some to quit because they are afraid of losing their JW's paradise.

If we try to tell these witnesses the real truth about the organization, this doesn't set them free, because we now complicate their simplistic JW world. It was so easy for them to rely on Jehovah and that he would take care of everything. Now by telling them that things aren't so, we now force them to think differently and think for themselves.

Some rather live with the illusions of a new system being close by than having to face the possibility that their religion is false.

• RR
    RR

There are some who stay for selfish reasons, for brothers, it's the position and the power that comes with it, being an elder. giving talks, traveling to other congregations, a circuit or district or two. I have know some who would do anything to stay an elder and the cost of family even. I have known of a number of elders, one even a Prwesiding overseer, whose children committed a disfellowshipping act, daughters getting pregnant or sons getting sisters pregnant, and what do they do, they ship them out to live with relatives, so they can keep their positions and not have to step down because they could not control their children.

My mother-in-law sees all the injustices in the society, but has somehow convinced herself that this is God's organization. She feels that Jehovah appointed his Slave Class over his goods, that includes her, so as long as she does what the Slave Class tells her, she is pleasing Jehovah, even if they teach her wrong, the Lord will hold them responsible, NOT her.

My thought is, when are WE resposnsible?

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

You're so right, JH. I have always felt that this is why my husband remains. He knows about the errors, he has seen the injustice, he is simply unwilling to accept the alternative.

In fact, when I recently brought up the subject of the failed prophecies and false dates, his response was this: What does anyone else (any other religion) offer that is better than what the Witnesses offer? The use of the word "offer" is disturbuing if you really think about it. I tried to explain to him that no person or group can "offer" you anything. From a Christian perspective, God himself - not a particular group - offers eternal life. This conversation was so troubling to me because I could see the results of all his years of programming. It is almost as if his love of the organization is not about religion at all. They "offer" him something he wants - eternal life on paradise earth - and he agrees to do whatever they tell him to do in order to get it. Jehovah really doesn't fit into this equation at all.

• Swan
    Swan

So does that mean that the only reason they serve Jehovah God and not follow some other God in some other religion is because Jehovah offers them the best deal? Is Jehovah the used car salesman of the religious world? Do they only love and worship him for what they can get out of it? Isn't that what Satan said about Job?

Tammy

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl
    So does that mean that the only reason they serve Jehovah God and not follow some other God in some other religion is because Jehovah offers them the best deal?

In a nutshell, yes. At least this is what I see and hear from my JW husband. And, as I said before, he doesn't even try to conceal this attitude that seems so selfish to me. It's all about him and what he can get for himself. It just makes sense to him for some reason that I have not yet been able to understand.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    I have known of a number of elders, one even a Prwesiding overseer, whose children committed a disfellowshipping act, daughters getting pregnant or sons getting sisters pregnant, and what do they do, they ship them out to live with relatives, so they can keep their positions and not have to step down because they could not control their children.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've seen this scenario played out within the circle of JW's I know. Every elder I know systematically kicked all their kids who weren't baptised or faviorably progressing in the "troof" out of the house at ages 17 or 18. Numerous elder daughters disappearing inexplicably from halls never to be seen or spoken of again.

I know of at least one JW elder whose wife chose to visit a close relative halfway across the country in order to spend time before they died. Incensed that she'd dared to not show "proper submission" and forego the trip on his orders, he made a surprise appearance there on the very day the relative died so as to "catch her in the act" impueing that her motives were less than pure.

So does that mean that the only reason they serve Jehovah God and not follow some other God in some other religion is because Jehovah offers them the best deal? Is Jehovah the used car salesman of the religious world? Do they only love and worship him for what they can get out of it? Isn't that what Satan said about Job?

I've often asked JWs this when they imply that if you left the WTS, where would you go. It is only after a few minutes of getting that "deer in the headlights" look that they realize that they've let slip their primary motive for staying with the WT. Regardless to how much they profess to "Love Jehovah" it's "the deal" that they not only always present first when looking for converts, but also unwittingly fall back on when you challenge WT dogma.

• micheal
    micheal

Family and peer pressure.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

because "It has to be true, I've wasted my whole life in it, It has to be true."

JW's will never think that : "Maybe, just maybe the Watchtower is wrong." No matter what you say !

• RR
    RR

I like to ask JW's wahy they serve Jehovah and the num,ber one answer is .... "I want to live forever on a paradise earth."

Hmmm, I thought it was because he is God and worthy of our worship!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I noticed that a lot of the people here left because the organization kept changing critical doctrines... something odd about my family is that we always looked forward to the assemblies because we were literally hoping for some kind of change... as if it was something to be excited about.

Because of this I can point out all of the failed prophecies I want... all it does is validate to them that they are in the "true" religion... because it does change.

They see change as a primary mark of true religion. The more the WTS lies to them... the happier they become.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit